Saturday, April 4, 2009

i dream of melissa

I figure I've been googling them so much of late that I might as well do my own write-up. Melissa Plastic Dreams (henceforth known as MPD) is a Brazilian based eco-friendly shoe company with a fantastically quirky and fabulous name and a line of shoes to die for. MPD manufactures shoes made from Melissa's patented plastic known as Melflex a 100% recyclable, hypo-allergenic monomaterial that easily molds to your foot, providing a comfortable custom fit. The company is also famous for their exclusive line collaborations with, among others, Campana Brothers, J Maskrey, Vivienne Westwood, Alexandre Herchcovitch and the Iraqi-born architect Zaha Hadid.

Melissa and Collaborators (Clockwise from left): Alexandre Herchcovitch, Campana, Vivienne Westwood, Zaha Hadid & J Maskrey

My personal encounters with the normal Melissa line as well as the Vivienne Westwood Anglomania + Melissa range can attest to the high comfort factor. Even squeezed into a size smaller, I felt no discomfort, the shoe provided more than adequate cushioning, it felt as if I was walking on sturdy foam cushion. A pleasant feel. The only thing that stopped me from getting them were my scrunched up toes. I already have a bunion problem, I do not need to exacerbate my foot issues.

Unlike most shoes made of plastic, all shoes in the Melissa line have a pleasant, sweet smell. My sis and I spent quite a bit of time passing the shoe between the two of us and taking sniffs. The smell is really quite addictive.

The designs are incredible. For a plastic footwear range, Melissa and her collaborators have managed to come up with simply inspired and forward-thinking comfortable designs. The arty pieces, especially by architect Zaha Hadid, are beautiful yet functional. Also, though most known for their plastic range, MPD also has velvet/suede shoes in the same designs as their plastic ones.

Some pretty Melissa shoes (top-bottom): Melissa Ashanti Ankle Booties & Melissa 3 Straps Elevated

I have been looking around and found a few online stores, mainly based in the US but with overseas shipping, that carry the Melissa line but these online stores do not have an extensive range of Melissas in their collection. They do however carry the shoe that I wanted to get in Bangkok, the Melissa Vinyl. I'm not entirely sure why I haven't made that commitment to get it, part of it could be I am hoping my May trip to Bangkok will bear fruition and I will get to own my first pair of Melissas. I guess if the Melissa Vinyl and I are meant to be, they will still be available at the online store when I've come back from my recce trip to Bangkok :)