Monday, April 27, 2009

the twilight saga

Ok, so after my movie review of Twilight, I was so bothered by the fact that I didn't like it that it actually compelled me to read the book. And I kept reading and reading and finally stopped at 'The End' in Breaking Dawn. I started on Sunday with Twilight and was done with Eclipse on Thursday. I tackled Breaking Dawn on Saturday and conquered it by early Sunday morning. Now I feel I am fit to express my feelings on both the books and the movie.

First thoughts. I don't particularly think Stephenie Meyer's books are a work of literary genius, and the premise of the story is as old as time but it is her writing skill that pulls it all together. I think she writes in a manner that manages to connect to the reader, in this case moi, whereby I was able to vividly conjure up the images she writes of in the book. Ok, granted, most of the scenarios I saw in my head were definitely coloured by the lingering imprints (hehehe) of the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the books but it did impact me in a way I never quite expected.

I'm not aversed to reading young adult material, in fact I have bought a number of books geared towards this age set by well known young adult author Meg Cabot. But where Meg Cabot does not make me feel anything more than enjoyment at reading her teen books, I was overcome with the overwhelming feeling of oldness when I read the first three of the Twilight saga! I am unsure why the lingering impression left was one that made me feel as if I should be moving on from these type of stories. I felt like I was past my prime for them. It made me feel guilty in fact to be into the saga. I can only guess that it's most likely because I have a tiny crush on Jacob :P

LOL! I can't even begin to tell you how embarassed I am to have admitted I feel a girly pull towards a fictional TEENAGE character. The age difference makes me feel like a lech. Sigh. I feel dirty cos each time I read Jacob, SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD Taylor Lautner's face pops in my head. It doesn't help that I have had crushes on men with facial similarities to Taylor, most recent (as in 2 years ago) being Steven Strait of 'The Covenant' and '10,000 BC' fame. Also, Jason Mamoa (?) of Baywatch Hawaii (he was the ONLY reason I watched that series, ok!).

After ploughing through the saga, I am going to go against many fans of the series and say that my least favourite book was Twilight. I felt that behind the vampire and mortal front, it was just another teenage angsty love story. The writing I don't fault but it certainly does not win anything in terms of originality of the basic storyline. In fact, I did feel somewhat annoyed with Edward which did grow exponentially as I read the rest of the series. Even if there wasn't some other character vying for Bella's affections, I still don't think it would be enough to ensconce me in the 'Team Bella + Edward' camp. Frankly, I couldn't care less about these two. The way they prance around thinking their love is the greatest love of all was simply vomit-inducing. I just rolled my eyes a lot reading those parts and admittedly went through them faster than necessary. It just didn't interest me. I was more interested in the other vamps, namely Jasper and Alice as well as Rosalie and Emmett.

My favourite book is New Moon, which I know many fans thought was just a 'filler' type book to set the story for Eclipse. Perhaps because the story has a lot of Jacob in it, that's why I like it best. The less I have to read of broody, depressing, whiny Edward, the more I enjoy Stephenie Meyer's writing. And Bella is actually likeable when not in Edward's stifling company. I agree with the news item I read somewhere when they said that Edward is one of the most controlling, abusive partners equivalent to Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights. I liked Heathcliff, his broodiness I can stand. Edward justs annoys.

Second best is Eclipse. Only the parts where Stephenie Meyer lets us know more about the werewolves. I can't be bothered about the whole Bella-Victoria struggle. Since I've mentioned my affection for Jacob, I feel that the dude gets a raw deal. He always ends up disappointed by Bella's choices yet he's still there by her side when she needs him. I don't want to call him a doormat because I can't fault him for loving Bella so let's just say he's a stand-up guy who knows his right from his wrong. I would like to point out that Bella is consciously leading Jacob on with her declarations of love and her what-if scenarios where in an alternate universe Jacob Black would have been enough. Hello Bells, Jacob is not a second-best kinda guy, he's a numero uno and if you just can't see him for his complete awesomeness, cut the guy loose!

Nonetheless, her reprehensible behavior carries over into Breaking Dawn, the final book in the saga. Bella, why do you torture Jake so? Why do you make him stay near you when you know it's an unnatural situation for him? And seriously Stephenie Meyer, I would have preferred that Jacob ended up with Leah Clearwater or some other nice, totally deserving girl, because why the hell should Bella benefit in any way from the niceness that is Jacob Black? Lucky Nessie (vamp-girl) got Jacob to imprint on her which is just so wrong in my book! Like in the other stories, anything Jacob related, even when it's him and Nessie, I still love but when I have to endure Stephenie Meyer's definition of true, all-consuming, raw, honest love through her depiction of Edward and Bella, I just want to poke my eyes out. I do not believe this is a healthy relationship at all and at times it makes me feel disgusted at how Edward manipulates Bella.

Last thoughts: Jacob Black is awesome. Bella-Edward, whatever. Nessie is just ok (for Jacob's sake I'll tolerate her). Other people are alright as long as they don't join in with the lovefest that is Bella-Edward.