Thursday, November 3, 2011

i actually didn't really want to talk about this.....

But I'm getting truly excited and I just can't help myself. I know there's a possibility of things blowing up in my face but just the mere speculation of it has me back to my old ways - obsessed with Kimi Raikkonen and Formula 1.

It's been two days since the rumours of a Raikkonen F1 comeback gained serious momentum and I am back to my pre-RallyKimi days; trawling Google News for, well, news of the comeback/confirmation of its truth and haunting the PlanetF1 forums to see if anybody can provide me with the latest scoop from the rumour mill.

The word in the pitlane is that Kimi is poised for a seat with the Williams F1 team. I have been following F1 from afar for the past two years and know that the Williams team are no longer in the top tier of the series but I feel they are on the verge of a turnaround. Next season the team will be outfitted with Renault engines - the same ones provided to the current kings of the track, Red Bull Racing, and with the appointment of highly-rated Mike Coughlan, formerly employed by McLaren Mercedes and a key player in SpyGate back in '07, as the new technical director, the Williams team have no where else to go but up. And having Kimi Raikkonen as their lead driver could definitely galvanize that turn of fortunes. It's important to note that Kimi has had a working relationship with Mike Coughlan from his days driving with McLaren.

The last "news" bit floating about is that Williams will be announcing the signing of Raikkonen for the 2012 racing season at the last race in Abu Dhabi which is about a week and a half away. I am hoping and praying as hard as possible that this is going to turn out to be a reality. I didn't quite grasp nor realize how much I missed having Kimi Raikkonen on the grid in Formula 1 till I was at the Singapore GP and found myself feeling empty as I rallied for one driver after another - having no anchor driver really takes the joy out of watching the sport. It made me feel like a wishy-washy airhead for some reason or another :)

Anyways, Kimi Raikkonen, you still have so much more to offer Formula 1. There are more than a couple hundred thousand F1 followers who would love to see you back on the grid. Even those in the F1 fraternity would love to have you back. Most importantly, I miss dedicating every other weekend to watching my most favourite driver piloting an F1 car. Please let this news to be true.