Monday, May 7, 2012

supplementing for a healthier me


I don't know if I ever mentioned this here but back in November '11 I think, I became a member of my Homeland's GNC franchise. With the membership, I get 20% off of normal priced items, collect points which can be redeemed during payment and during my birthday month, I can get 40% off on everything. These are some of the benefits of paying the dollar equivalent of $7.50 for membership.

One of the other perks that intrigued me greatly was my one year international GNC membership. This means I would be eligible to get 20% off at any GNC worldwide every 1st week of the month. I was particularly interested because drugstore.com has a GNC sub-store (is this even a word) and I knew I could use the card through their site. Long story short - it's the last day of my 20% discount and I decided to replenish some of my GNC stuff.

I've been taking the Sibu Beauty Seabuckthorn supplements for 5 months now alongside the GNC Standardized Saw Palmetto and I have seen a massive improvement in my overall 'beauty'. My nails aren't as brittle as they used to be, I have less hair fallout and my skin issues have calmed down significantly. Can I really attribute all these changes to the capsules? No, not really cos I made quite a lot of changes in the past few months but I'm going to continue taking these just in case. I got 3 of these. The dosage is 2 per day but I've dosed down for the last month or so and so 1 box can last me 2 months now. Hence, I got a 6 months supply for a total of $71.88.

For weight management, I have the GNC Burn 60 which I first started in March. I got these at 40% off during my birthday month and decided to go for a 3 months supply. I'm on my second bottle now of 2 tablets everyday and although I initially thought it wasn't doing anything, in the past week and a half I've seen a significant 'shrinkage' in my overall body shape that I figure I might as well get an additional 3 months supply. I have to say that these are pricey in my Homeland even with the 40% off. I think they cost me about 40 dollars per bottle after discount when I got mine from drugstore.com at $21.59 with my GNC 20%. I spent $64.77 on these.

Lastly, to ramp up my metabolism, I have decided to start taking L-Carnitine. I decided to get the NOW Foods L-Carnitine 500mg 180 capsules bottle. The reason I chose this over the GNC brand is because this is purely vegetable based while I think the GNC brand is derived from animal cartilage. I only go for kosher/halal products and since I could not verify the GNC L-Carnitine as kosher, I went with NOW Foods which is also sold by GNC. This bottle will last 3 months for the price of $35.99.

All in all, I did spend a pretty penny. My total came to $172.64. I had a credit balance of 31 cents from my Kinerase eye cream being canceled in my last order cos it's out of stock so my AMEX was charged $172.33.

Talking about last month's order, I actually ended up paying nothing since I had a $22.30 credit and my ELF products along with the Starbucks Natural Infusion Ground Coffee in caramel totaled $21.99. I was hoping they would deduct the discount according to what got shipped out first and I was right. $10 off April's credit was actually only applicable for Beauty.com orders over $50 but since my Beauty.com portion of the order wasn't fulfilled, i guess they compensated me by allowing that $10 to go towards payment for my drugstore.com stuff. So woohoo for me :)