Monday, December 21, 2009

wouldn't it be nice to eat without your conscience nagging at you?

Ok, so I'm not the most healthiest of eaters but neither am I a complete junk food foodie. I try to balance out my KFC Snack Plates with my own home cooked, low fat (I hope) meals.

I've been driven to write this because my conscience is being noisy in my head. It's berating me for nearly finishing off a bag of Kettle brand lightly salted chips during pre-dinner snacking. I left a third of the bag. What's the big deal? So I didn't share it with anyone, big whoop. As a consequence, I'm now reduced to one rice cake topped off with a layer of cheese mixed with chives & onions and a cup of iced Skinny Cow Hot Choclate mix for dinner.

Ok, usually I do have more self-control but I went online and became engrossed in the whole Brittany Murphy cardiac arrest death stories that I ate without thinking. When I finally realized that I had been pigging out, well, it was at the part where my fingers were beginning to scrape the bottom. At least they were Kettle chips, au naturel, oven baked, so on, so forth.

I think a lot of women go through life feeling guilty about food. I know I do get struck down by my own inner voice lecturing me when I've indulged a bit too much on something that is perceived as sinful. What confuses me is how much food is really too much in a day?

Take for instance, today for breakfast I had 2 plain rice cakes and a cup of Nescafe mild 3-in-1. For lunch, I had a plate of fried chicken noodle. I drank a litre of water. I ate the chips and ended with the abovementioned dinner. Oh, and one marshmallow with choclate filling. Is that a lot? I wasn't being particularly healthy today and the whole chips bingeing made me feel worse about my eating habits.

Sigh. Getting this down doesn't seem to have given me any clarity. The guilt is still lingering.