Friday, January 14, 2011

expedición de compras número uno para el 2011

Yes, one of the 'things' on my 2011 list of things to do is come up with foreign language titles for my blog posts. No, not really, I just have nothing better to do than use my good friend, Google Translate, to give me the non-English equvalent of any title I come up with.

Anywho, what, where - another possibility for my fake 2011 To-Do list is apparently being completely obnoxious on my blog postings - I held off for 13 days into the new year before I commenced the act of getting stuff via monetary channels so I give myself total credit for that - hey, credit where it's due and all that jazz, right???? But let's just get on to the good stuff.....

My first official buy of the 2011 shopping year was heralded with a 7 items purchase from everybody's favourite cheap chic fast fashion store, Forever 21. And it cost me a mere $54.06! For 7 things! I got myself a maxi skirt, two pants, a cuff, a ring, a pair of earrings that I'm going to be gifting and this really cute chain fringe hobo which I'm still unsure if I'm keeping or gifting.

That pesky Forever 21 site is just a merchants' port loaded with seriously chic, inexpensive things that sing their individual siren songs to lure level-headed folks (yes, am talking about moi) to an early shopping excursion! The deals were just so, so, so good, I just couldn't help myself! I wanted to wait till February but I was afraid the things I wanted would be gone by the time I was truly ready so I jumped the imaginary timeline I had set myself (I had set none per se - just an unofficial battle of wills going on within my brain)!


Numero uno on this, the first of the 2011 buying expedition, is the grey, long maxi skirt. I have had this in my basket since my last F21 foray in early December but was loathe to pay $17.80 for the skirt - I was banking on the price being reduced further and reduce it did! It went all the way down to $8.99. I breathe a major sigh of relief that I did not cave to my wants earlier cos I would have been majorly irritated to have seen the price dip down by about 9 bucks.

Numero dos was the floral etched cuff bracelet. I got this for $4.80. I've been really into gold accessories of the past few months but I know that some faux gold jewelry can look downright tacky. From the images on the site, I thought the shade of gold on this cuff appeared to be classy rather than gaudy. The floral etchings are very pretty and overall, I get a very Cleopatra-Egyptian vibe from it.

Third we have the relaxed cargo pants in olive. I have been wanting to add an olive hued pair to my skinny leg cargo pants collection for some time now - tried getting the Route66 pair a couple of months ago but it was out of stock after I made my purchase - but I'm glad that none of my previous attempts went through cos I am loving the simplicity of these pants. I like that the back pockets are completely flat and that the material appears to be lightweight. I got these bargain pants for $9.99.

Next up is this totally cute (to me that is) stone age ring. There were three colours to choose from; white, peachy pink and seafoam green but I decided to go for the peachy pink. I have always been into statement rings and this one fits the bill. I think it's edgy yet feminine and I can't wait to get it. The cost was a cool $3.80. Can I just say that I love the fact that most F21 jewelery costs below 5 bucks, it allows one the opportunity to accessorize on the cheap and that's fantastic.

Fifth on the list is the fold-over waist satin pants. It's in a beautiful shade of cocoa and it has a rather upscale look to it. I like how there is a relaxed luxe beachy feel - if one can actually attach a feel to a pair of pants, lol. I debated a bit about getting these pants since it's satin and I live in a tropical climate - sweat stains will be very visible! But the fashion esthetics won over fashion practicality so I got 'em. The largest available size was in M which would have given me pause if it were not for the fact my previous F21 pants purchase was also in M and fits like a dream. I believe I shouldn't have a problem with this pair. These were going for $10.99 on sale.


The item I got to gift are the etched feather and beads earrings. I personally love the look of this pair - I think it's trendy, chic and pretty. I am going to gift this along with the faux pearl cascading necklace I got from my first F21 buy last November to my gal pal, Marie. She's the sort who can pull off these styles.


Last but not least was the chain fringe bag. I was originally looking for a gift for my former roomie, WM, and knew that she'd appreciate a functional yet chic hobo but I couldn't find one that didn't have straps that weren't too long for her petite stature or a design that wasn't too funky for her to carry to school as she's now a trainee English teacher. But after showing this purse to both my sisters, they did agree that the bag looked very nice. And it was going for the ridiculous price of $13.99. I am very attracted to this bag as it is edgy yet beautiful and it somehow reminds me a bit of the Cynthia Vincent Grocery bag (don't ask why!) which I've always thought looked like a really great hobo. I love that the strap looks long enough that it can go cross-body but we'll have to see in person if that's actually doable. I'm still keeping my options open as to whether this bag is going into my own collection or as a prezzie to someone. For now, I can't think of anyone who would like it bar myself. I'm actually kinda relieved that I am considering keeping this bag for myself cos I've been worried my handbag tastes have been compromised by my recent, more expensive purchases. I'm glad that I haven't become a bag snoot, lol.

So the items are packed and shipped and I seriously cannot wait to get them. But I am only having these items sent back to Homeland in February after this month's billing cycle closes. I have a ton of things to pay for this month and can only allocate the funds for DHL shipping into the February budget. There's also the fact that I'm wanting to get some stuff from drugstore.com as well as things from Target.com but am waiting to get these closer to the end of the month so that the things do not have to wait in storage too long before shipment.

DISCLAIMER:
All images are courtesy of Forever 21 dot com.