Friday, February 20, 2009

this crow pie is mighty tasty

Perhaps besides the year of travel, 2009 is also looking like the year of apologies. Yup, yup. This is the crow pie post. Remember, waay back, when I went all rant-y and dishearted Barnes & Noble. Weeelll, B&N, you are sooooo back in my good graces and I hope you can forgive me for my hasty yet true condemnation.

That's right! They came through. I am the proud owner of the Barnes & Noble leatherbound revised copy of Homer's Iliad & The Odyssey! Albeit two months late BUT the point is I did receive my book. All it takes is persistance, persistance and more persistance. Plus a good dollop of patience and maybe a pinch of sarcasm. AND I also got to keep the wrong book they sent. Apparently, as a goodwill measure. Personally, I feel the company simply don't want to be spending any more money in shipping costs. The 365 Days book weighs a ton and would have cost them quite a bit to have it sent back all the way from my neck of the woods.

So, here I am, hand on my heart in a gesture of reciprocated goodwill, I offer you, barnesandnoble.com, my sincerest apologies for writing you off as an unreliable e-tailer. Despite feeling slightly embarassed about having to take back a small portion of my rant, I mostly feel ecstatic that I got what I paid for and so don't mind at all that I am writing this retraction of sorts. I admit, we had some tough times communicating but the end result justifies everything and in the end (hehehe, working in the LP ref!), the point is YOU DELIVERED THE GOODS! And that's what counts!

Now, I may experience moments of hesitatation before I make another purchase off of your site again but you have shown that you can come through and so I put you back on my list of retail sites I trust. If Christmas '09 rolls around and you have the same 50% discount offer on your leatherbound collection again, I would definitely go for the Grimm Brothers fairy tales.

Anyways, here's a look at my shiny and new and completely beautiful leather bound Homer. Excuse the poor quality of the images, even 10 megapixels can't help these pics from appearing washed out due to no flash (am trying to avoid flash reflected light) and crappy bedroom lighting. Anyways, my poetic descriptions should suffice :D


Note the electric blue colour of the book is stunning and, strangely enough, something I would associate with Greek things in general. Perhaps, because it appears as the same shade of blue in the flag of Greece (you have to squint a bit I guess). The pretty cover illustrations, both front and back, depict scenes from the tales contained within the bounded leaves. The gold embossing both on the front, back and the page sides lends a gorgeous and luxurious feel to this timeless classic. The smell of the pages so alluring, inviting one to open her up and read her (yes, I have given the book a gender, it seems to feel girly, don't ask why). The playful gold ribbon that awaits to play its role in marking your place in the book. This masterpiece of literature sits proudly on my bookshelf with an air of such majesty and grandeur.

*Big cheesy grin* And there it will remain till I and "Atlas Shrugged" are done.