Sunday, February 1, 2009

a birthday shoutout to my 2 year old niece

Yup, my niece turns the big 2 today! She's adorable but ends up calling me by my elder sister's name ALL THE TIME. I feel a bit sad when that happens cos it just means that I'm rarely around enough for her to remember me.

But that's besides the point. I called her up at 8 am their time this morning. She was already up and excited. Not sure as much of the significance of the day but she felt something special was up. So, my mother put her on the phone and I sang "Happy Birthday" to her. She was all blase about it though :) I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and as yet, she doesn't understand the gift-giving aspect of birthdays so she rambled nonsensically for about 2 minutes. Then I got her mum on the phone who told me my niece had some kind of epiphany when she saw a shelf full of "My Little Pony" dolls at the toy store so I figure that's a hint to get her one of those. I used to have these dolls as a kid myself and it's nice to be able to continue that kind of tradition(?) with my niece. I bought her older sister a coconut-scented "My Little Pony" for her first birthday so I guess I'll add to their little collection by getting her one of the scented ponies as well. Her party will be held next sunday to coincide with my vacation back home so I'm really happy to be able to make it. I also need to get a present for her sister since I did not send anything back in October when she turned 3. Her sister wants the Barbie Mariposa doll. At first I was like "Mari-wat". Turns out Mariposa is a type of butterfly so the doll is a Barbie with butterfly wings.

Ok, enough toy talk. One last thing though:

I love you hunny bunny, Happy Second Birthday Baby Girl!