Tuesday, May 20, 2014

finally caved and got myself a camera

I haven't owned my own camera since 2009 I think. The last one I had was a Canon P&S and it is currently sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe, screen died on me I think. Since then I have thought about investing in another one, more along the lines of the Compact System Cameras (CSC) or what used to be called the Micro Four Thirds a.k.a Mirrorless Cameras. I think I did a post on the then hot stuff Panasonic Lumix G-something which I never did end up getting. Through the years I simply let other people take photos, I realized that I wasn't soooo keen on photography. Sure, I loved immortalizing a trip in digital but I was just too lazy to do anything further than that. Plus, I somewhat felt that too many people in the group had cameras anyway so why did I really need to bother, hehe.

But this year, I've started feeling I needed a camera again. And knowing myself, as much as I loved the idea of myself lugging around a humongous DSLR camera with my camera bag filled with myriad lenses, I knew I was gonna get bored of carrying it around and end up not taking the camera anywhere. If it happened with my old P&S, it was definitely gonna happen with a DSLR. I also became more aware that as much as I was into the idea of owning a compact interchangeable lens system, I would ultimately balk at paying the prices for lenses and definitely would simply just use the original lens kit only in the first place. And I would also get bored of having to lug around the camera as well as the lens. Hence, when I asked my photography buff cousin for a recommendation, he pointed out the Sony DSC-RX100 Mi to me. It was a very compact P&S with DSLR quality and features. I looked up the camera and it definitely appealed to me a lot. Would I have preferred choices in colour aside from the basic black? Yes, but I can always find a way to customize it. Shocker right? I'm complaining about my favourite gadget/accessory colour being the only option.

Anywho, after a bit of deliberating, I decided to get the Sony DSC-RX100 Mii instead. It's basically the same camera as the Mi but with a tiltable screen, a 1.0 inch Exmor R™ back-illuminated CMOS sensor as well as WiFI and NFC capabilities. If I'm gonna be truthful, I have no clue what kind of difference really the 1.0 inch Exmor R™ back-illuminated CMOS sensor is really gonna have but I figured for a lil bit more money I should get the updated version of this camera.



And that's it. I got it for below the RRP from this shop my cousin always gets cameras from. I think converted, the price is around $585.48. The RRP is $749 and Amazon is selling it for $698. In all honesty, what really sold me on this camera was its compact size and the fact that I really want to carry it around in this :D



Lol, yes, I was shallow enough to buy the camera because I wanted to buy this bag which retails for $298 at Henri Bendel. I think it just looks so gorgeous this bag. It's quilted leather and considering the astronomical prices of Chanel's quilted arm candy, I'll settle for knock-offs :D I'll hopefully get this bag once it's confirmed my camera is in hand.

I've also put some camera accessories in my Amazon cart which I will also only check out once my cousin tells me he's picked up the camera - apparently the shop has to pre-order and it'll take between 3-5 working days for the camera to arrive at the shop. Since I put in the order only on Friday, it'll likely come either tomorrow, Thursday or Friday.



In this Amazon order there'll be the Sony LCJRXC/B Jacket case for DSC-RX100 series in Black, MegaGear's Multi-Coated LENS ARMOR UV attached Filter for Sony Cyber-shot RX100/RX100 II, LARMOR by GGS Self-Adhesive Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector for SONY RX100, Japanhobbytool Sony DSC-RX100 Mii Leica Skin and last but not least two Halcyon 1800 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement Battery and Charger Kit for Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II. I feel these are all necessities for the camera, mainly for the protection of the camera body.

I feel like since I dropped so much money for a P&S, I might as well ensure that I've protected it as best as I can by getting the LCD screen protector, lens filter, the Leica style skin is to ensure the camera has grip when I'm holding it - apparently the smoothness of the camera body creates grip issues and the camera can slip from your hands, the case is further protection for the camera and the extra batteries is so that I don't run out of juice as I'm using the camera. From what I've read, battery life might be an issue and investing in some spare batteries is wise, plus I get the bonus wall and car charger. Out of the box, the camera package only comes with a USB camera charger connecter so the battery has to be in the camera for charging AND you won't be able to use the camera whilst it's being charged. A flaw I overcome with the wall charger adapter I get by buying the spare batteries.

I'm kinda excited to get my new gadget. I haven't seriously played with a camera in ages.