Thursday, October 20, 2011

my next techie get - the Panasonic DMC-G3

Ever since I first heard about the micro four thirds category, I wanted one. I like taking pictures but I'm not serious about it. I want an upgrade from my point-and-shoot Canon Ixus which will provide better quality pics without the heft of a DSLR and the "creation" of the micro four thirds cameras fit the bill. The desire to get one increased manifold after my silly Canon Ixus "hung" on me during the Linkin Park concert and essentially corrupted all my really fantastic close-ups of Brad Delson, Mike Shinoda, Chester Bennington, Phoenix and Joe Hahn. Yes, yes, the Linkin Park F1 experience I have yet to write about - I'm in a funk about the stupid photos. In all fairness, I guess it's only fair I do not have any photos since I didn't even manage to take one of Rob Bourdon who I claim to absolutely adore. Anyways, I didn't think a camera could hang on you in the first place. The internal crack on the digital viewfinder screen has also compounded the need I have to get something new.

Enter the Panasonic DMC-G3. How did I decide that this is the camera? I googled "best micro four thirds cameras 2011" and the overwhelming results were in favour of this model :D Ok, I also did some digging on the specs and whatnot and though some of the details go way over my very shallow knowledge of photography in the first place, I am sold!


I won't bother going over the specs and pretending I know much about it other than it's got 16 megapixels and has a rotating touchscreen viewfinder which is what caught my interest in the first place and I left it at that. The price is a bit steep at roughly $640 to $699 but it does come with one of those fancy interchangeable lens. I really like this one but am still keeping my options open. Will see what this year's Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales come up with before making a final decision.