Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 2012's edition of "i covet....."

I haven't done an "i covet....." post in a while. Mainly cos barely any time passes before "i covet" becomes "i bought". But I've been pretty good about simply coveting and not purchasing in the past couple of weeks so I figured I can do a post :)

No guarantees that the items mentioned will remain an "i covet" for long though. One BFF is headed to Orlando and I can save some Homeland shipping fees if I order and get it overnighted to her hotel....let's just get on with the list.

Fittingly enough, first up, we have the Rebecca Minkoff 'Covet' satchel.



I first saw this last year browsing the RM website during one of her annual online sample sales. I was looking at the MAB's but fell in love with an olive ostrich-embossed leather version of this satchel instead. I like the vintage quality the bag exudes (do I sound crazy when I type things like this out? bags exuding feels, hehehe). But even at a 20% discount, I wasn't particularly fond of parting with roughly 300 bucks for something 'Made in China'. You know me and my China products complex. Then on HauteLook a couple of months later they had an RM event and a smooth leather cobalt version of the satchel was on sale for 99 bucks if I'm not mistaken. It was in summer 2011, can't really remember but I know it was going for a dirt cheap price like that. I had it in my cart but for some reason could not justify the purchase then. I regret that to this day. Sigh. Now, this croc-embossed version with the gold hardware is going for $193 on Amazon. I've been wanting a black handbag with gold hardware. All my nice black bags are silver hardware. What I would prefer is a vintage Chanel Jumbo with gold hardware but well, prices are not on my side so this really is the next best thing. I'm playing a game of chicken right now. The price of the satchel has been steadily going down since I first put the bag in my cart. I'm waiting it out till July 4th to see if it'll go down any further.

Whilst I was browsing Amazon for the RM laptop bag, I came across this other RM bag that I instantly fell in lust with.



It's the Rebecca Minkoff 'Jane' shoulder bag. My first impression - RM's take on the infamous Hermes Birkin. Come to think of it, I feel like the 'Covet' has some Hermes Kelly aesthetic. My favorite part of the bag is the coin tassel thingy attached to the top handle. For some reason that is tres attractive to me. For an even weirder reason, I get native american vibes from that tassel.As can be seen, it's also croc-embossed in the same shiny leather as the 'Covet' satchel above. The difference is this is silver hardware. I actually like the brownish-red version of this that comes in gold hardware but that is not going for $250. I don't really think I can rationally justify getting both bags in the same material despite them being 2 different models and differing hardware. I mean, if I'm totally honest, they are both structured satchels with barely any size difference. The 'Covet' is edges the 'Jane' slightly on this point. But when have I shopped rationally?

Last but not least, I am totally obsessed with these Bass Ophelia flatforms in whiskey. I admit, I really want to get on this trend ever since it came to life early last year (or was it 2010?) but never got around to it. Then I was on ideeli one night a couple of weeks ago and saw this version of the Bass sandals going for $49.99.



This is everything I feel a flatform should be. Leather, wide cross-straps at the front (all the better to hide my bunions) and in the best aged brown shade ever! I can totally see myself traipsing around in my enormous collection of maxi dresses with these sandals on. But I did not get these - I think I just cleared my credit card bill and also just got the RM laptop bag so I wishy washed over this for some time before deciding reluctantly not to get them. I have been filled with mucho regret since. I can't find it anywhere for less than the Amazon price of $71.93. But you know how once you've seen it at a lower price point you can't help not wanting to put in an extra 30 bucks no matter how much you want it. Hence, I've been looking on all the sample sale sites as well as Amazon to see if anybody's going to have it on for less than 50 bucks. It's really another wait-and-see kinda thing.

And thus ends June 2012's covet list.

DISCLAIMER: All images screen capped from Amazon.com