Saturday, November 1, 2008

someone to read.....dorothy koomson

My reading habit has introduced me to various writers, some well-known and others less so. As such, I thought I'd blog about an author I enjoy reading who has a low-profile outside of Great Brittanica. I first came across her bestseller 'My Best Friend's Girl' while trying to complete the trifecta to qualify for Border's 3-For-2 deal. I hadn't heard of her prior and admittedly I picked this particular book up simply because the price was comparable to the other 2 books I had already chosen. The 'Richard & Judy Bestseller' sticker on the cover did also weigh in on the decision to get it. 'My Best Friend's Girl' is a story of 2 best friends who are no more. Several years pass before an act of fate leads them to connect again with each other. I don't really want to give the story away so I'll just say this; once I started this book I simply could not put her down. This is not chick lit, it's not a fanciful, fluffy book but one that portrays tangible human connections. By the end of the book I had bonded with the characters so much it was disappointing to come to the end.



Since then, she has come out with several other publications, 'The Cupid Effect' (re-released in 2007), 'Marshmallows For Breakfast', 'The Chocolate Run' (re-released in 2008) and her latest 'Goodnight Beautiful'. I have read each and every one of them. She has not disappointed yet. Her books cover issues ranging from depression, commitment issues, rape to failed surrogacy and death. She weaves the stories in such a realistic way you feel as if you're in the head of the protagonist, watching through her eyes as everything unfolds, being in her mind as she recalls events of past, feeling the same pain she feels in her heart. Reading her books brings you on an emotion-filled high and low. I admit I'm sappy, I cried reading 'Goodnight Beautiful'. The story was so poignant, heartbreaking, it just overwhelmed. But rarely is a story perfect and there's almost always a thing you'd like to happen differently. For me and 'Goodnight Beautiful' I felt the ending was a tad contrived, the events unfurling towards the culmination I saw coming a few chapters before and I felt it unnecessary but perhaps I did not see her vision in those last few pages. Nonetheless, it was a great weekend read and I enjoyed it immensely. If you have some time and change to spare, Dorothy Koomson is well worth it.

For more info on the author you can go to Dorothy Koomson's website.