Saturday, November 1, 2008

cheap yet chic

As much as I'd like to have a closetful of high-end designer stuff, let's face reality, we are in the midst of a global economic downturn, it is not the time to spend half my salary buying a USD1000++ handbag or USD500++ shoes. However, I still do feel the need to keep up with the trends and to remain relevant fashion-wise, but where do I go to shop? Why, where else if not for Target and Wal-Mart! Truthfully, I've been shopping there waaaaaaay before there even was a sniff of economic woes but I digress.

With each retail giant partnering up with high-end designers creating diffusion lines left and right, the average gal can still remain fashion-forward in these lean times. Target and their Go International lines have won me over on numerous occasions. Their current offering of Anya Hindmarch bags, Dean Harris jewelery and Sigerson Morrison shoes allow the you's and me's of the world a chance to own a piece of designer chic for a fraction of the high-end cost.

Personally, I feel these efforts between designer and retail giant are laudable but I've heard rumblings out there about the designers 'slumming it' factor. I, of course, respectfully disagree and congratulate these designers for joining forces with companies possessing major marketing machines to come out with affordable diffusion lines. Look at it this way, it's basically a clever marketing/advertising move for them. Apart from the big brand houses, namely Gucci, LV, Prada, Armani and so on and so forth, who really knows the Richard Chai's, Rogan Gregory's and Joy Gryson's? By lending their names and bringing their designs to Target and Wal-Mart, they manage to spread the word on their label to the masses while also raking in some money. There are people who shop Target and Wal-Mart who can afford to pay hundreds on an apparel and this partnership, if successful, would set the way towards expanding their clientele. In the long run, it promotes the longevity of the brand.





Another bone of contention with the Purists, so to speak, is the Quality. Now, I have noticed persons whom have commented on these lines without even personally going to check the products out and that's just not fair as an uninformed comment can sway opinions. My personal experience with the Target's Go International lines have always been great. I recently received my Botkier large black satchel and have been happy with the purchase. It's held up against some intense usage and I tend to carry my cubicle with me in my bag. It makes me wonder, those who used the bag 2 days and had the handles rip off, were they carrying bricks in the bag? It's an affordable diffusion line, if you are expecting it to withstand a nuclear detonation then you've clearly spent your money on the wrong thing. I doubt even the high end version would measure up to those exacting standards. I've also purchased shoes from Isaac Mizrahi's Target line and have also been satisfied with the make of the product. They are comfy and they have lasted and they cost me USD7.99. I have bought shoes before from name brands which have come apart after a week of use. If I'm going to fork over anything more than a 100 bucks on shoes, I do expect them to have a shelf life of more than a week. Another great collaboration is Wal-Mart's partnership with Norma Kamali. The line is fashionable and has also given birth to some pretty fantastic clothes for a really good price. I've gotten some great work pieces from this line and did not have to bust my bank account to do it.

Some would also argue why spend 50 bucks on a lesser grade product when that 50 bucks could go towards the higher end USD800++ version by the same designer. Two words, instant gratification! Your USD50 spent on the cheap diffusion line allows you to own a piece of the designer's collection there and then instead of having to wait it out months, even years before you can lay your hands on a bag. It allows you to keep up with fashion without going into debt. And if there's one thing the world could do without is credit card debt. Trends change on a seasonal basis, these retail giants are offering you a chance to be in season now, not 2 years from now.

I realize that it's not for everybody, and differing opinions aside, but who doesn't love a bargain? I am far from being anti-brand as I do own some designer items and I love looking out for the newest collection from my favourites but I'm not that much of a brand snob that I don't love it when I can get those designer items at places like Target and Wal-Mart. Those who can afford not to scale down and keep on shopping at the boutiques, more power to you but for those of us who would still like to have some change to spare, well, all I have to say is equal opportunities to all, right? I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my Anya Hindmarch gold and tan large hobo from her Target collection.....and I don't even care that it says 'For Target' on the hardware, it's still an AH handbag.