Saturday, November 1, 2008

what keeps spinning?

On your playlist that is. Was looking through the songs I have on my Zen and realized though I have 10 gig worth of albums on the device I only ever listen to perhaps 2.4% of the songs.

Sifting through, I found songs that are more than 5 years old still sitting in rotation on my most played list. Granted, I have a special playlist for Linkin Park which I listen to all the time (their songs just never get old to me and I am one of the people who absolutely loved the new direction they took with 'Minutes To Midnight') but I also have some tunes by other artistes that I just don't get bored of listening to.

First up, I love, love, love Ben Lee's 'Catch My Disease'. Most of the songs I listen to were introduced to me vis a vis tv shows. I heard of Ben Lee via Greys Anatomy. It's a catchy (pardon the pun) song and I love the beats, a very bouncy piece. Another tune under the same vibrant sound is Sugarbomb's 'Hello' which was introduced to me via a Youtube clip. It is so infectiously cheery, it never fails to get me on my feet.

Next up, we have Mike Doughty who has a bunch of songs that I love. Found him through Greys Anatomy as well as Veronica Mars. Tunes still in favour with me by him are 'Looking Through The World From The Bottom Of The Well' and the fantastic 'I Hear The Bells', which is possibly my absolute favourite song outside of any of Linkin Park's repertoire.

From One Tree Hill (unfortunately I do follow this series, mainly for Hilarie Burton's character Peyton, girl's got creative choices in music), I got to know Jacks Mannequin. I loved his album 'Everything In Transit' specifically 'Mixed Tape' which is the de facto best song on his album in my opinion, 'Dark Blue' and 'Holiday From Real'. His new album 'The Glass Passenger' is out now and am currently making my way through that album and he sure has not disappointed so far.

I still enjoy Nickelback's 'How You Remind Me', Fuel's 'Shimmer' and Counting Crow's 'Accidentally In Love' though these songs have long fallen off the radio radar. The thing that attracted and still attracts me to those 3 songs are specific lyrics which I can't seem to shake. Like, in 'Shimmer', there's a line that goes 'Fields of butterflies, Reality escapes her'. I find the line so amusingly intriguing that I don't tire of listening to it, perhaps I'm trying to figure out what it means.

Other songs of yore, the theme song to V-Mars, The Dandy Warhols' 'We Used To Be Friends' as well as the theme to another defunct tv show I was watching but can't seem to remember the name of (googling did not help surprisingly), The Rasmus's 'In The Shadows'. Marcy's Playground's 'Sex & Candy' is a fave as well along with Matt White's 'Love'.

Embarassingly enough, I also seem to love to listen to Alias's 'More Than Words' and Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of The Heart' as it appears in my top 20 songs most played. The rest is mainly LP's 'Faint', 'What I've Done', 'Leave Out All The Rest', 'In The End', 'No Roads Left' as well as Fort Minor's 'Believe Me', 'High Road' and 'Remember The Name'. Lastly, can't forget my Bon Jovi, mainly songs on 'Crossroads', I particularly heart 'I'll Be There For You' and 'Someday I'll Be Saturday Night'. And there's also a lil of Mariah Carey from her 'Fantasy' album, lol. I do admit, I have and always will love 'Always Be My Baby'!