Wednesday, April 1, 2009

down and out and seeing the colour red

UGGGHHH! If I wasn't down with the flu I probably would not feel sooo sorry for myself. I have a lot of things to feel blessed about but right now, all I can think about is the unfairness of it all!

My dad is a diplomatic studies lecturer. Post army service, he decided to teach. So in the many, many, many years he has been teaching the military and diplomatic minds that grace his classroom at the institutes he is attached with, of course he has made connections. One of these connections is a high ranking police official who has jurisdiction over a certain district that is hosting an F1 GP this weekend. And he offered my dad 3 GRANDSTAND TIX FOR THE GP RACE!

Ok, I have benefited from this man's generosity once before. Btw, just thought I needed to clear things up, my dad didn't accept it as a bribe for better grades or anything, he offered the tix as a gesture of thanks AFTER he had graduated from the course. Anyways, my first and only GP experience was back in 2006. That was the last year Kimi was driving for Mclaren Mercedes. I was so super mega excited to watch my favourite driver in action LIVE, that is before he got shunted from behind by I forget who and was unceremoniously put out of the race. I went on to enjoy the F1 experience but of course I'm disappointed that I couldn't see Kimi drive for more than 10 seconds.

Naturally, when I heard that he has offered up another round of tix, I am super psyched! This was back in Feb when I was home during my vacation. I asked my family to confirm earlier that we would be in possession of those grandstand tix so that I could prepare my travel arrangements but I only got word today and now, after checking both on my end and my sisters, plane tix is more than 800 bucks and I can't seem to justify the cost of the plane tix with a free GP tix. Am flat broke this month from my relatively useless trip to Bangkok and I have to save money for my Europe trip this November.

I'm completely feeling sorry for myself. My sisters are not even HALF as fanatical as I am. My eldest is a Schumi fan and since he's not even driving anymore, she doesn't even catch the races on tv. My other sis goes up and down with her support of Kimi. When he's doing well, she's all for watching the races but when things aren't exactly looking up for him, she will actually email/call/sms me to ask what the hell is up with my lazy driver. I'm the one who is in it for the long haul. I'll even watch when Kimi is long gone but I'm the one who has to watch the live telecast from my living room instead of in the bleachers.

Okay, deep breath. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Calm now. It's ok, from my personal experience watching the race trackside, you just get to see what's going on along the stretch of track right in front of you. You still have to follow the rest of the racing track from the giant screens. It's just the atmosphere is amazing. We were seated in the front row, right in front of the pit garage. But whatever, just know Kimi, I may not be able to yell and scream encouragement to you this weekend from the bleachers (plus my sore throat would probably be a hindrance as well) but know that I am behind you 100%!