Sunday, October 18, 2009

i'm gleefully addicted to GLEE

After the abrupt cancellation of "The Beautiful Life" (which I was watching for the fashion) due to low ratings, I shopped around for a new show to watch and stumbled upon "Glee". And I'm completely addicted and totally caught up.


What's not to love? The singing, the dancing, the great tunes! The series is funny too and I'm completely in love with Lea Michele's voice. This 23 year old Broadway star who plays the intense Rachel Berry has such an amazing voice. I love to listen to her. I'm also totally approving the choice of Cory Monteith as the male lead as I can't help but like tall, gawky guys. I have no idea if he's really awkward-ish in real life but on the show he plays the part of the reluctant big man on campus to a lovable tee. The fact that he's big and tall and always enthusiastically performs the dance routines is just adorable. Cory either really puts in effort to embody the role or he really just is a big, awkward mess of limbs. It's just endearing, I love rewinding his dance scenes. I can't believe he's actually 27 years old! He DEFINITELY looks 17. Boy, those are some really good genes!

What else? I love Jamma Mays who is the school counselor, I'm in awe of the ensemble Vocal Adrenaline and just love when they appear in any scene, I find Mark Salling who plays Puck somewhat attractive (kinda reminds me of Boston Public's Nicky Katt who I had a major crush on back in the day) and the fact that the actor is 27 makes it all better (no icky cradle snatching feelings), love Cheerios coach Sue cos she is just one craaazy and completely entertaining lady (I seem to like most of the stuff Jane Lynch does - she was hysterical in Paul Rudd's "Role Model") and the musical choices are spot on.

Things I'm meh about are.....
1 Will Schuester, don't really care about, or even like, the character. I don't know if it's Matthew Morrison's portrayal or just that the character is often weak-willed and turns me off. To his credit, he sure can sing and dances well.
2 Jessalyn Gilsig as Terri, Will's wife. Never liked her on Boston Public, CSI: NY, Heroes so don't find that she appeals in this either. I dunno why it's so, it just is.
3 Storyline from epi to epi is a bit jumpy, stilted, kinda flat as well but the singing and dancing make up for it.

My most fave epi is definitely a toss-up between episode 4 "Preggers" and epi 6 "Vitamin D". In "Preggers" the best scenes were definitely the start when Kurt is performing Beyonce's "Single Ladies" and the football team doing the "Ring On It" play to win the game. A bunch of dudes in full football gear performing Beyonce's "Single Ladies" is just too good for words! "Vitamin D" had the two mashup scenes and I just can't commit to which is my favourite. I think the boys performance wins it by a hair. Cory and Rachel both performing remarkably and I love Kevin McHale's voice as well. Not surprising that he's a good singer cos he used to be in a band.

Anyways, the Glee love continues and I hope it'll do well enough to get a second season. I totally love me a lil song-and-dance routine :D