Monday, October 19, 2009

the september issue

When I heard about 'The September Issue', there was no doubt that I would do anything to get my hands on a copy of the documentary. I, like many other women who have even a smidgen of interest in fashion, have heard of the enigmatic Anna Wintour. The myth of Anna Wintour is huge. There are many things said about her so when I heard word that she allowed cameras to follow her around while she went about putting together the 2007 Spetember issue of American Vogue, I knew that I'd definitely be watching it.

Being outside the US, the only way I was going to be getting my hands on the film was through the torrent sites. I'm actually surprised I managed to come across an extremely great working copy of the documentary on my first try. I have to say thank you to the person who enabled me, and others outside The States interested in seeing this film, to have the opportunity to watch this.

My thoughts on the film. I have a better appreciation of what goes on behind the scenes of a fashion magazine. I got a view of the larger-than-life Anna Wintour. I was able to understand the artistry of a fashion spread via the genius that is Grace Coddington. I'm confused as to what Andre Leon Talley actually does and can't completely comprehend his fashion style but since he's Anna's right hand of sorts, it's more likely that I don't understand him. I am surprised at the candid and frank things spoken by some of those featured. This wasn't a documentary so much to coddle or to soften the image of Anna Wintour. This was a film about the Vogue September magazine and the players in its design.

It would seem by the opening of the film that Anna Wintour strikes fear in the heart of the young up and comers at Vogue. Most are fearful of displeasing her. Only the old hands who have worked with her for ages, like Grace Coddington, understand that Anna Wintour is not really about wanting it all her way. It would seem like she's a control freak who rules the Vogue offices with an iron fist but I don't see it that way. I just see someone who knows what she's doing and want what's best for her magazine. I didn't necessarily like all the decisions she made (I'm smitten with Grace Coddington, I just love her work so I agreed with her when she was displeased with some of the photos Anna cut out of her spreads. That Parisian spread for the October issue was just beautiful and genius.) but the end result was fabulous.

My favourite person is definitely Grace. I can't begin to rhapsodize how amazing I think her visual style is. I like that she doesn't feel the need to kow tow to Anna. She fights the battles she feels should be fought. She stands firm on what she believes in. I like that she can take the hard decisions but she doesn't have to like it. And she was just so amazingly beautiful in heyday as a fashion model, Grace-ing (pun intended) the same pages of the magazine she now works for.

The final word on it: definitely worth a watch if you're someone who is interested in fashion, fashion magazines and the hard work that goes into making the biggest issue of the year by one of the most famous fashion tomes in the world.