Thursday, November 11, 2010

i'm on the bandwagon and i'm kinda lovin' it

I have an iPhone. I got it for free. It's not a new one and it's from the second generation but it allows me to use all these great iPhone shopping apps and I'm completely in love with it because of this.

As can be seen from the pic below, the iPhone's seen better days :D But I'm not complaining, I got it for free, free, freeeeeee. Plus, the phone is wrapped so all the scratches bar the ones on the back are superficial and only on the screen protector and clear sheet. I'm just too lazy to replace the screen sheet. The only improvement I made was to upgrade the software - it's a jailbroken iPhone btw - and cover the aluminium back with a fuschia sheet. I am never one to stray away from monochrome colours when it comes to my tech gadgets but with this - since I didn't have to actually buy it - I thought why the hell not give it a lil bit of sassy colour!

One of the first things I did when I got my hand-me-down iPhone was to download every single shopping app that I could find of sites which I have been unable to shop at like Macy's and Forever 21. I was particularly excited about the F21 app cos previously if I wanted to get anything, I'd have to go through my sister's card cos she has one that's based in a country the site ships to. But through this app, I'm able to use my AMEX to shop indiscriminately! I tried it out recently and got a bunch of stuff and the package has already been delivered to my Portland addy and is awaiting shipment to Homeland.


So the item that got the ball rolling was the F21 Twisted Shoulder Modal Sheath Dress in Stripes. I realize I have tons of long dresses but I don't own one in stripes. I had found one back in Homeland going for a lil over 12 bucks but the length ended a bit awkwardly above my ankles and looked totally funny on me. When I saw this dress going for USD9.99, I just knew I had to get it. I am aware that horizontal stripes can be unforgiving but I read that the slimmer the lines the better it looks when worn. Hence, I'm hoping it'll look good. Next to it is the same dress but in a solid navy blue colour. I felt for USD9.99, I could be generous towards myself and get another.

Right now on the Forever21 site they have reduced free shipping to a minimum purchase of $50 from the previous minimum of $75 so knowing what a stickler I am about NOT paying for shipping, I decided to make sure I upped my total to a lil over 50 bucks to qualify. I knew I needed to get a birthday prezzie for one of my gal pals and I thought this would be the perfect op to do that. I got her an embroidered floral knit top in a nice burgundy shade and the cascading faux pearl necklace. I don't have an image of the top cos by the time I decided to screen cap my purchases, the top was gone. I'm iffy about actually gifting the necklace along with the top since I'm kinda unsure if she'd actually wear something like that. When I saw the necklace, I just thought it was such a pretty piece and boughtit on a whim. Once I see it in person, I'll decide if it should go to my girl or to a different gal pal or even to myself, hehehe.

Lastly I decided to get the drawstring linen pants in gray for USD6.99. I thought they looked like they would be comfy travel pants and since I've been making a lot of drives to an out-of-the-way project site, I could use a good, roomy pair of flattering pants to wear during the 6 hour drive each way.

All in all, USD50.76 well spent. I actually shopped for all the items on my laptop, put 'em in the cart and then logged on to my mobile F21 app and made the purchase from there. It's kind of a drag to be looking at stuff via a teeny screen when I can do it comfortably via my 15.4 inch Asus. I just needed the payment facility via the iPhone app to make the purchase. I believe it goes through when I pay via the app cos mobile shopping is just starting to become popular but a lot of mobile payment facilities are not yet up to the same security levels as when shopping via the computer. Hence, card verification is less of an issue when done via mobile.

Whatever it is that allows me to shop F21, I'm not going to even attempt to dissect it. As long as it continues to allow me to shop there, good on me!

DISCLAIMER: Collage of F21 haul - images derived from F21 site