Wednesday, May 18, 2011

anyone interested in a game of thrones?

Yup, I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with the HBO adaptation of A Game Of Thrones from the book series A Song of Ice and Fire!

My love of all things mystical and medieval on celluloid stems from the original game of thrones - Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I'll admit, I hadn't read the books (still haven't, is this a crime???) when the Fellowship Of The Ring came out and only went to see the movie because my sis won some free tix. At the time, the buzz was that it was going to have to compete with Harry Potter for box office success. As much as I love Harry Potter (books and movies), it did not blow me away like that first, second and third viewing of the first LOTR movie! I was hooked! I cried and cried when I thought Gandalf had perished.....

Which brings me back to A Game Of Thrones. The title comes from the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I had heard the buzz but was ambivalent till I read the news of the series getting a second season just off of its first episode ratings. By this time we were three epis into the first season and I finally caved and downloaded those three life-consuming episodes.

My goodness, my life is just not the same anymore. I am consumed by my need to watch the next episode - I practically LIVE FOR SUNDAY NIGHT to come around so that come mid-Monday the torrents will be up for me to download the epi. I don't know if it delights or frustrates me that each episode ends in the most unbelievabe cliffhangers that have me reeled in and anxiously anticipating the next installment in the series. After completing a back-to-back of the first 3 episodes, I spent hours on the web researching the background on the series to better understand the politics surrounding the many houses in the seven kingdoms. I'm quite caught up despite getting pretty much spoiled for what's to come in the remaining story arc for the show.

I have no idea if I want the producers to deviate from the book a little as there are some characters for whom I've acquired a growing attachment to that meet with untimely deaths. I won't name names as people who simply follow the tv show are always rather angry when other people spoil things from the show. Can I also say that I am thrilled that an old TV crush of mine is Khal Drogo. I had a HUGE crush on Jason Momoa back in his Baywatch Hawaii days and to see him all buffed up and dirtied up a bit as the khalasar of the Dothraki tribe still puts a smile on my face. I think he and his bleach blonde wife, Daenerys Targaryen are the cutest couple on the show. I love when an episode has a stroyline involving my fave khalasar and khaleesi.

However, it is not Khal Drogo that is my TV crush this time around but instead the oft maligned Jon Snow, the bastard son of Lord Eddard Stark. Ah, the idealistic Lord Snow, trying to find his place in the land of the seven kingdoms, always wanting the approval of his father and to rightfully stand amongst his other half-siblings as a member of the House of Stark. Scorned, and rightfully so, by the right hand of Ned Stark, the mistress of Winterfell, Catelyn Stark as he is a constant reminder of her husband's infidelity, he tries to assert his birthright as a Stark by joining the Night's Watch believing it to be the bastion of all things great and good only to discover that his comrades in arms are little more than petty thieves forced to make a choice between joining the Night's Guard or having a limb chopped off. He is pretty much disillusioned by the whole Night's Guard concept though despite the company he keeps, he finds his footing and does make a name for himself as a skilled swordsman. Kit Harrington is PERFECT as Jon Snow. All doe-eyed and innocent, filled with righteousness and the hope of making his father proud of him, his portrayal as a disillusioned Jon Snow is just as believable and despite my laughing at his rose-tinted glasses breaking in the most shattering of ways, I found that the way Kit Harrington made his Jon Snow portrayal rally and soldier on with the task at hand so convincing that I fell a little bit in love with Jon Snow.

And how can I talk about Game Of Thrones without touching upon the character that practically steals the scene every time he's in it; Tyrion Lannister. He may be known as The Imp or The Half-Man but he stands as a giant when he is on screen. Peter Dinklage is the embodiment of Tyrion Lannister. Love, love, love him. He is very, very attractive in this role, hehehe. His little parting shots and memorable one-liners contribute to some of the best parts of an episode. I love the anticipation of hearing what is going to come out next from his mouth - his delivery of the lines are always spot-on. Any scene he's in is absolute entertainment.

Ok, I am going to stop here, I have mentioned the important bits of the show that has me enthralled and so I will leave this post to ponder on what's to come in this coming Sunday's episode. Hopefully there'll be a Jon Snow appearance this time around, episode 5 was lacking of my favourite bastard's sighting. LOL, who woulda thought those lines would ever be typed off of my keyboard :)