Tuesday, May 26, 2009

jennifer paige once sang - it's just..... a lil (girl) crush

And that's EXACTLY what I'm going to post about. This is not a quirky prelude to an F1 soliloquy. Even I get tired of them.....but only for about 10 minutes.

Anyways, being part of the fairer sex and a completely heterosexual member at that, I have undoubtedly, from time to time, given in to adoring admiration for someone of my kin.

Personally, I think it's perfectly normal to find yourself intensely in like with another female. Admittedly, I might have worried years ago that it meant I wanted to play on the same team, or at best, wanting to play on both sides, but I quickly came to realize that the feelings are normal. Most my girlfriends have 'em.

Which is the reason I decided to roll out my thoughts on the subject. I was having a harmless convo with a girlfriend and we got to talking about women, mainly celebs, that we would not mind being bosom buddies with.

My list is short. Alexis Bledel, Alexa Chung, Liv Tyler and Agyness Deyn. Ooh, just noticed, at least I'm fair, 2 each from both sides of the Atlantic. 3 brunettes and a blonde. Ironically enough, my preferences also runs the same for men. I prefer dark haired men to blondes.

Alexis Bledel. Rory Gilmore. The two are one to me. I came to love Alexis from her turn as gorgeous smarty pants Rory. Here was a female tv character who was portrayed as seriously brainy and was gorgeous to boot. She didn't have to dress suggestively either. Most times, you'll see her in long sleeved tees and jeans. I guess credit has to go to the writers of "Gilmore Girls" as well since the allure of Rory came from all the things she said and stuff she did. Most of my early twenties were influenced by this show. The pop culture refs peppered throughout the epis fueled my need to be as culturally savvy. I wanted to be Rory Gilmore. Well, I like me but I wanted to be coolly intelligent like her. Alexis as herself also is no slacker in the personality department. Although usually coming across as hesitant in interviews, the girl has a great sense of humour. She's also a spokesperson for a non profit that is helping to eradicate illiteracy. A cause after my own heart.

Alexa Chung and Agyness Deyn. These two are apparently best mates. Not a reason why they made my list. Just a fun fact I thought I'd slip in. Anyways.....I first came to know of Alexa when I watched a show she hosted called "Vanity Lair". I was, unfortunately, and it was in a moment of complete and utter lack of common sense, crushing on one of the contestants (who shall remain nameless and in retrospect acted like an all round douche). But epi by epi I would start watching Alexa. She has this air of "let's have a good 'ol chat" about her while she's hosting which makes you feel comfortable I guess. She appears friendly. I also loved most of the clothes she wore. It was laidback but stylish, had a retro twist to it. Pics of her in mags also seem to follow along this concept. And she had such a cute face to boot. Each time I looked at her I saw feline-ish qualities (and I mean it in a completely complimentary way). She was also tall and had a quirky gait. It was cute.

And completely in sync with quirky top model Agyness Deyn. I first came to know of Aggie through Teen Vogue. At first her shorn blonde cut irked me but as I continued to flip through the various magazines she featured in, I began to fall for her gamine/elfin features. The tomboy-esque vibe paired with all the couture seemed so paradoxical. I loved it. I love watching out for her on Fashion TV (my channel of choice when abroad and living in hotels). Her personal sense of style isn't necessarily something I would look to copy cos frankly, I wouldn't be able to pull of 99% of the things she wears. There are one or 2 instances where even she doesn't quite manage to pull it together. But I love the moxie she has. She wears the clothes with 'tude. Her catwalk is quirky too, she has a thing for leaning to her right when she walks, a very boyish gait. But despite the tomboy leanings where I would have thought she's all about independence, she's engaged to some dude in a rock band. How much more model-esque behavior can that be :D

And lastly, who cannot love Liv Tyler. Another dark-haired beauty. Tall too. I first encountered Ms Tyler in the teen fave "Empire Records". I recall the days when I would watch that movie over and over again. It also featured a cute Renee Zellweger but I digress. Then she hit it big with Armageddon. I'll admit, she made me cry with that hand-on-the-screen scene after daddy Bruce Willis sacrifices himself for the good of all mankind. And when she played Arwen. C'mon, she totally fit the bill as fairy princess. Cate Blanchett was cool as well. Back on track though, Liv Tyler is just frickin gorgeous. I love her sense of style, she has boho chic down to a science, it's completely effortless. And having Steven Tyler as a dad AND not wanting to launch her own singing career adds to her cool points.

So, those are the ladies who made my cut. I toyed with the idea of including Vanessa Hudgens as I find her completely adorable and her sense of style has been astoundingly good but the whole High School Musical thing as well as the singing puts me off. Rachel Bilson too was also a candidate. If I could raid anyone's wardrobe it DEFINITELY would be hers. But as an actress, the girl falls short.And the fact that she's done a celeb line with DKNY. As much as I love her sense of fashion, I can't particularly stand celeb lines. A celeb who formerly made the cut was Fergie of Black Eyed Peas fame. The reason I crushed on her: the totally fit body. I was in complete awe of her abs. And her ass, glutes, whatever you wanna call 'em, A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. But then she just got too mainstream and I fell out of like with her.

I guess, when I reflect on my list, the first quality I seem to admire is sense of personal style. Second would be their talent and third, their personalities as portrayed by the media. I'm sensing this list might appear to cast me in an unflatteringly shallow light. But it's ok, they are not my real friends so it doesn't really matter what aspect of their existence tops my list of criterias and therefore I am allowed to be as shallow as I want to be. Well, ain't much else to say 'cept.....who's your girl crush?