Wednesday, May 6, 2009

gladiators, flights and infallible colours

What do those three words have in common? Nothing much except those are the key descriptions of the three items I just paid for via target.com.

Yes, my love for most things Target knows no bounds. And I can readily admit without (much) shame that my New Year's resolution to stop buying bags was always going to be an impossible (practically insurmountable) one to keep. I should know myself better by now. A bagaholic can never resist a great bargain. Also, who am I kidding? I already broke that rule when I got the gray Miu Miu inspired (henceforth known as GMMI) large hobo, I was never going to survive the coming months without making another purchase before my Paris trip, I'm too much of a bag lover to restrain myself.

Anyways, on to my goodies. First up: clue flight. I blogged about this item waaaay back in December of last year. At the time, I said that I would hold off long enough to see if the clearance price would be up my alley. And what can I say, Target does not disappoint. I've been eye-ing up the Hayden-Harnett for Target Flight Tote in black from time to time since the previews last winter. It was retailing for $49.99 and at that point, although coveted, I was staying true to my word, I would not conduct any bag-buying. Then came lil Netty (my HP 2133, and yes, I named her) into my life and suddenly I was faced with the conundrum of making my fashion loving self merge with my tech loving side. I was not going to lug around Netty in a non-descript, ugly nylon laptop bag. My Netty is fun, fearless and too cool for that. Hence begins the obsession of finding the perfect accessories to complement Netty. GMMI was a start but Netty never seems to be in her element, not a discredit to GMMI but it simply is the way it is. LeSportsac's Lexie was elusive and I was not even completely sure if she and Netty would have gelled well together even if Lexie didn't make like the abominable snowman. And my other last ditch effort ended in disappointment when I failed in procuring Stella McCartney for LeSportsac's Everyday Bag on Gilt. So, it was without any expectations that I was wandering the virtual aisles of target.com when I found the Hayden-Harnett for Target Flight Tote in black going for the clearance price of $12.48. I did some pondering for about 15 minutes, reading the reviews, checking out the images (for the nth time) then decided to go the what-the-hell-it's-just-$12.48 route and click it into my cart where my first item already lay waiting to be checked out.


And it is here that we segway into what brought me onto the site in the first place. I was looking for a pair of platform heels. Specifically, I was looking for some gladiator heels. The trend is still in, I already own a pair of gold gladiator flats but I wanted to complete the whole gladiator theme with a pair of heels. I had seen these particular heels on target.com for the past couple of months and the reviews both on the site and elsewhere (numerous fashion blogs I read) were always complimentary. The only problem was that each time I was online, there was never any stock in my size and in fact, the last time I went, the shoes were completely sold out. Which ones am I talking about? Why it's the Mossimo Petrova Gladiator Sandals of course! Ah, Petrova, you toyed with me, got me feeling down soooo many times with the whole size-lessness and later, complete absence. I tried to find alternatives but none could compare to you. Basically, the Petrova, stylishly marries 2 trends together, the gladiator and the cage. The flushing reviews of its fashion forwardness and comfort just served to amp up my desire to have them. Again, I was not expecting to find them online as they had been sold out for the past 3 weeks I was checking and I was close to getting a different pair. But as fate would have it, I clicked on the gladiator option under trends and, praise sweet god almighty, there was Petrova, staring me in the face on page 1. My cursor tripped over itself in its haste to press down on the link for full details. I steeled myself for disappointment though, not getting my hopes up in the least in case.....well one should always have hope. I went to select size and.....sigh. I am in blissful contentment. Restock heaven. Size 8.5 promptly got clicked into my cart. There was no hesitation. $29.99. No sale. I don't care. Dream shoes = priceless (ok, I still do lust over those Melissa Plastic Dreams but let me fulfill my shoe fantasies one at a time).


The last thing I got took me a lil more than 2 hours to decide on. What is it? A L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail Lipstick in Primrose. I don't use L'Oreal and this will go directly to my mother. Why then did I get it? Target has the spend 50 and above free shipping deal and my total at that point was about USD42.++. I was in no way going to give up my free shipping. Hence the looking around for a coupla hours, doing mental math adding and subtracting the prices of different products to see what would total closest to 50 bucks AND would ship within 24 hours. The L'Oreal lipstick filled these shoes. I get free shipping and my mum can have a nice new lippie. Win-win :)


So there it is. I don't care (much) that I have failed one of my (many) NY resolutions cos in the end, I saved over 30 bucks for a bag that I so coveted. I also own one of the most sought after gladiator heels for the budget yet trend conscious. I am a happy camper. What makes this post even better is that there is no talk about prancing horses or making it to the finish line with points. It seems my life does involve other things besides F1 :D

UPDATE: My two important orders have arrived at the delivery point, am awaiting for them to be delivered to my loving hands, most likely in late June. No worries, I waited many months to purchase, I can wait a few short weeks more to actually get my hands on 'em. Why only 2? Cos, while I was away gallivanting throughout the bottom half of Thailand, I received numerous emails from Target informing me that the L'Oreal lippie I purchased to round up the free delivery special was apparently out of stock and if I still wanted it I had to click on a link on my Target.com accounts page before the 19/05. At that point my contact had already gotten the Hayden-Harnett Flight Tote and Mossimo Petrova Gladiator sandals without being charged for the shipping so, yay for me!, I just let the deadline lapse on the lippie. I'll get my mum something better.