Monday, May 11, 2009

que pasa?

Ok, let's be clear, my Espanol is non-existent, bar the few phrases I picked up from watching telenovela's during those Uni years. But I believe the words "Que Pasa??????" says it perfectly.

What could I be going on about? I'm such a bore so the only thing that would warrant such a reaction is of course F1-related :D. Let's be specific.....Kimi Raikkonen related.

The Spanish GP has come and gone. Without much of a peep from Kimi. But a whole lot of tactical blunders from the Ferrari team. For both Kimi AND Felipe. So it's not like I'm just favouring my Finn, I am a team player. I'll be indignant on both their behalfs. Just more so for the blonde one :D

Just to make sure everyone's in the know, I didn't exactly get to watch both Quali OR the race. My flight came into Suvarnabhumi Airport around the time of the live telecast of the qualis but I was no where near a sports channel that broadcasts F1 so I could only find out what happened after checking into the hotel. Yes, my first order of business on the company retreat was to head to the business centre and google news the Spanish GP qualifying results. That's when I found that Kimi didn't even make it out of Q1, the team suggested strongly the time he already posted was good enough to take him into Q2 but as everyone went faster and the time ran out, Kimi and Ferrari found themselves on the fringe of the top 15. SIXTEENTH TO BE EXACT. That's what you get for resting on your laurels. Por que? Por que Ferrari, por que?!?!?!? On a side note, Felipe did great though. I think he qualified 4th.....or maybe fifth.....well, somewhere better than 16th.

The race proper. Kimi got off to a great start. He was tenth and fighting to pass Nick Heidfeld as his car was quicker when it unceromoniously died on him on lap 19th. So, all tifosi, and I'm pretty sure Luca di Montezosomething (the Ferrari big kahuna), devoted their full attention to Felipe Massa, who at the height of the race was running third I believe. But after his second pitstop he was doing a solid fourth and was giving hope to one and all that the Ferrari resurgence was on. Until he got a radio-in from his race engineer to drive as conservatively as possible cos they short fueled him by one lap and he might not have enough gas to keep going to the finish line at the pace he was driving. Wow! Ferrari! Let's give a hand to the team with the worse strategic record this season. Needless to say, but will be typed anyhow, not only did he lose fourth to Seb Vettel but after having to do a splash and dash and coming out retaining fifth, he got overtaken by home hero Fernando Alonso on the last lap or something. Woohoo!

And how did I manage to know all this? Firstly, there was no sports channel carrying F1 coverage at the hotel we were staying at. Secondly, the night of the race, we were headed to a company dinner so I wouldn't have been able to watch the race even if there was a television showing it. What I had to resort to was going to the ESPN Start Sports web page and following the race via their LIVE timing broadcast (?) I sat in front of a computer the first proper night I was in Bangkok to follow the Spanish GP. I did this before heading out to dinner AND immediately after coming back from dinner. I hogged that business centre PC (there were 2). If I haven't proved how absolutely nutty I am about F1/Kimi, I think this is the height of my crazy.

Last words.....all in all the car's development looks good, let's minimize the stupidity tactics-wise and bring on the jewel of the F1 calendar that is Monaco in 2 weeks time. It has got to be better than this.