Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the glitz and glamour of the lion city

I have to admit, albeit grudgingly, I'm totally impressed by the way the Singtel Singapore GP is run. Tying up one of the glitziest sports in the world with the glamour of A-list superstars really appears to be a match made in heaven.

I'm just completely gobsmacked that a whole slew of entertainment A-listers were seen in the Far East at the same time. But anyways, the whole point is the racing and what a race was had. Kudos to Lewis and McLaren. Can I just say I'm developing quite a crush on Martin Whitmarsh.....I mean for a much older dude he really cuts a dashing figure. Like I've said before, McLaren do have a special place in my F1 heart. I'd say that if there wasn't a driver I supported, McLaren would definitely be the team I'd get behind.

I'm sorry for Nico Rosberg. That hastiness to exit the pits during his first stop was a costly mistake. What had looked like a sure podium turned into a languish at the bottom of the field after his drive-through penalty for crossing the white line before completely coming to the end of the pit straight.

Seb Vettel was another loser in the podium run. Also a recipient of a drive-through penalty (due to speeding in the pit lane), he did, however, fare much better than Nico and slotted into a points paying position. That kept his drivers championship hopes alive although it's now tethered simply by a single strand of flimsy thread. I would so love to be proven wrong and wouldn't mind seeing Seb haul in the two Brawn boys.

The podium finishers were Lewis, Glock for Toyota and Alonso for the beleaguerd Renault. I applaud Timo for his great drive to second. That crucial overtake of Fernando at the start of the race was simply what set him on the path to Toyota's first podium finish of the season. And Fernando, I have to say, great drive to third. In spite of all the hoopla surrounding "Crashgate", he manages to maintain a level head and get on with the job. Very Kimi-esque of you. And, sadly and ashamedly, I'm also starting to find him quite attractive. It annoys me so that I find he and his stubble to be sexy. Urrgh!

And where was my darling Iceman in his red car? In tenth. I don't have anything bad to say about it. I watched the race. I saw how hard it was to drive that car. He pulled one overtaking move early on in the race which was thrilling but that was it. It was quite difficult to watch him wrestle the car to get some kind of performance out of it. It only came alive on his final stint on the soft tyres but by then there were only 10 or so laps and he was in tenth. Fisi did not fare any better. Thirteenth for him.

It makes me unhappy to see Kimi unhappy with his car. I saw his body language after he failed to get into Q3 and he looked pissed. Judging by his post-race statement, he seems really unhappy with the non-development of the car. I have a few guesses to why Ferrari are not developing the F60 further but that's points for a whole different post which I'm working on.

So, conclusions from Singapore are.....

ONE that it was very glamourous.
TWO the race itself was quite boring in terms of on track action.
THREE bring on Suzuka :)