Thursday, March 4, 2010

a letter to my (Ice)man

My dearest Iceman,

How are you? I hope your back is doing fine ahead of the Rally Mexico and that you'll do better than a 30th place finish at Rally Sweden (no judgement here, I know it's a new sport for you, learning curve and all).

Darling Kimster.....I have something I must confess and I pray you keep an open mind about it. Despite my love for you, Kimi Raikkonen, WRC does not seem to have any events in places where I can obtain primo tickets to watch you race. After a month or so, just as you are facing the uncertainties of a new motorsport, I too am still having problems learning the Rally world's rules and regulations. (What are these pacenotes things and why is any note-taking involved?) Therefore, I, reluctantly, I have to add, made the decision to join the rest of my family for the Sepang Formula 1 Grand Prix 2010!

I know, I know, I know, Kimi. It will NEVER be the same without you. Watching you race has been THE highlight of my F1 spectator career. There's no one other driver's skills that will usurp your place as my number one. But I feel I need the comfort of something I know, something I've believed in, invested in, gave me some of the best moments of my life (slight exaggeration here). I am too confused by the new things in Rally to thoroughly enjoy your snowbank escapades and the scenery. I feel, to reaffirm my decision to casually follow F1 from now on, I have to watch the Malaysia GP LIVE from the grandstand seats right in front of the pitwall. I know that I will only feel the painful emptiness of your absence whilst I sit/stand in the bleachers and await a Formula 1 car to pass by my section for the one microsecond before all is silent again.

Sweetheart....please believe that it gives me no great pleasure to attend such an event when it is clear you will not be around but alas, primo tickets are primo tickets and I miss my family so this is the best opportunity to spend time with them in a fun setting (as opposed to how we usually spend it which is just sitting at home doing our own thing!). Plus Schumi is returning to the F1 fray so I am quite curious to see if he still has IT (not Information Technology, just a capital it) or not. I will strongly root AGAINST the Pooping, eh, sorry, Prancing, Horses in your honour and will resolutely support ALL OTHER TEAMS to give the scarlet ones something to be scarlet in the face about (a.k.a a big 'ol ass-whooping!).

I must now end my letter to you as I am running out of ideas. May the Rally gods be with you and you don't trip over a stone or get caught behind a slower car in Mexico.

With much love and adoration,
Zlena