Sunday, May 2, 2010

i have a teensy crush on Lee DeWyze

LOL, I'm pretty embarassed about it. I didn't even like him prior to this week's Shania Twain episode. Most times, I have the TV in the living room on and I'm in the bedroom, I don't even bother to run out for his performance.

It's not that I don't think he can sing. Perhaps his first impression on me wasn't particularly flattering. It was during Hollywood week and he said something quite arrogant and it just put me off. Aside from that, I think he has a great voice and week after week he pulls off the renditions. I just didn't root for him and I will admit that there was a bit of mild disdain.

I'll also admit I like looking at Casey James and the cuteness that is Tim Urban. I don't have any illusions that they are the best in the bunch but I was proud to see Tim Urban's constant improvement throughout the weeks. In Casey's case (hehe), he had my support with his rendition of "Heaven". Since then, I've been rooting for him cos I think he's a good performer. Ok, I'm not completely blinded by looks nor gender biased, I do like Crystal Bowersox and believe she'll be this year's winner with Lee runner-up (and this was even before I started liking DeWyze).

Then Shania week came up. I love "You're Still The One", I have history with that song and it always brings about good feelings. I was excited to see if my favourite song from her songbook would be performed. Half of me thought I'd love to see it done, the other half thought it would be suicide for anyone to do it. When the tape played and I found out Lee was performing this song, I felt ambivalent and I did hate him a little because I felt, if anyone should be performing this song then it shoulda been Casey as I wholly believed he would have hit this one outta the ballpark. I waited for Lee to start as his segment with Shania ended. I watched him open his mouth to begin, his voice came out hesitant, changing the intro a lil. I found I was ok with that, it still sounded good, still recognizable and I continued to watch his performance. Just waiting for him to tank the song beyond recognition cementing my opinion of him further.

And as I watched, in the middle of his second verse, he cracked a smile. As if a memory had hit him whilst he sang the line "But just look at us holding on", and something clicked for me and I finally felt a connection with him. He actually made me feel the emotions of the words, perhaps compounded by my own feelings of the song and I couldn't help myself from becoming all giddy. I started grinning like mad and by the end of the song, was practically swooning. I did not even like this guy but with one song, I'm sold. He sold it to me. I am now all for Lee DeWyze 1000%.


It's as if I'm seeing him in a completely different light. Suddenly his shuffling on stage while he performs isn't annoying, it's cute. His whole "I'm awkwardly shy when not performing" demeanor endearing and not irritating. His crooked smile looks so sweet and not....well, I always thought his smile was nice. I am actually, only now, fully realizing how attractive he is.

The power of one song, it can truly change how you feel about someone :)