Sunday, June 12, 2011

still obsessed with.....

SEX WORKER STORIES!

So I got myself the third book in the adventures of Bell De Jour, Call Girl Extraodinaire. I didn't even know she had a third AND fourth book out and would have remained ignorant if I hadn't been stuck at a bookshop one day last week after having lunch at the cafe within the store when the driver was late picking us up. I figured I had read the first and the second so I should get up to speed in the latest adventures of Belle and her chosen profession (though apparently this third one is more about her entertaining the decision of leaving aforementioned job for what is considered a more normal existence). I didn't get the fourth book as that was more of a how-to prose (not be a call girl but keep men 'entertained' :D)


Then I came across this book by former sex slave Somaly Mam, a Cambodian refugee (?) now living in the States who tells her story of how she was sold into the Cambodian sex trade and forced to work before managing an escape. She has founded the AFESIP, an organization that helps other sex workers to break free from the trade and acquire more traditional skills to support themselves and rehabilitate them into society. I came to know about this book when I was going through last month's issue of Seventeen magazine (yes, I still like to read that) and it was also by chance that I saw the book right before leaving the store.


Anyways, I've thumbed through Belle a lil bit but haven't fully committed to getting into the story as yet and I haven't even opened the seran-wrapped Somaly Mam autobiography. When I got the books I realized that this is my first book purchase of the year. I've been downloading pirated books all this while but for some reason was compelled to actually get these books. Furthermore, of the paper variety!

Seriously though, I'd like to know if a certified psychologist would view this as something worrisome :D