Tuesday, July 24, 2012

reading.....fifty shades of grey


Okay, attempting to anyways. I. Don't. Get. The. Hype. This is the book that broke Harry Potter's sales record? I'm actually baffled. Honestly, good for the author, E.L. James, for getting herself published. It's truly great for her. I just don't know why this book is receiving the hype it's receiving. It really does read more like the fan fiction that it started as rather than an actual work of published prose. I know I'm contradicting myself here and truly, who am I to question the author's authenticity, right? But I just don't get it!

The protagonist, who antagonizes me at most points of the story, keeps going "Oh my" ALL THE FRICKIN TIME! I can barely go through a chapter without enduring multiple "Oh my"'s peppered throughout the span of one chapter. And her snarky subconscious is damn annoying. And apparently has a life of its own - either that, this Anastasia Steele is delusional! Don't get me started on that Christian Grey. Is it Christian? I'm too lazy to fact-check. The way he is written, you can tell the author has been reading quite a few period romances. I think she was trying to mold Mr. Grey after a Darcy-ish type. I sense a little Judith McNaught style hero in his persona but he doesn't charm me the way that Judith McNaught's roguish men do. He falls F-L-A-T in that respect! I cringe when I read him. That whole, "Breath, Anastasia, breathe" thing he keeps doing comes across as REALLY condescending and presumptuous to me.

Okay, it appears I am not liking the book much, lol. But I don't believe it'll cause the author to lose any sleep, she's raking in the money. And there's supposed to be TWO more of this coming. Sigh. So glad I actually found this online in some deep dark crevice somewhere. I would have been totally pissed with myself if I had ctually spent money on this!