Saturday, July 6, 2013

in the kitchen.....EntertainingWithBeth's Cannoli-Napoleons

I LOVE EntertainingWithBeth! She makes me feel like I'm more than just a passable cook/baker - sometimes I even think I'm quite awesome, hehehe. And it's mainly down to Beth and her amazeballs YouTube channel EntertainingWithBeth.

Recently, I have been so keen to try out Beth's creation - the Cannoli-Napoleon. I'm going to insert a screencap of Beth's gorgeous confection taken from her vid here -


I have always wanted to taste cannoli's ever since watching Buddy Valastro's show "Cake Boss" but since I don't eat anything piggy, most places that sell authentic cannoli's are out of the question for me as the shells that house the cannoli cream are deep-fried in lard.

When I saw Beth's vid on the Cannoli-Napoleon, I swooned and immediately knew I would be attempting this ASAP. ASAP turned out to be a couple of months later since I had a hard time finding pre-made pastry dough and only during my recent trip back Homeland was I able to score some.

Anyways, long story short, my take on Beth's scrumptious dessert -




I adjusted her recipe a little bit by using pure orange extract instead of orange zest cos I didn't have any oranges on hand to grate as well as substituted the pistachios for walnuts cos that's what I had in my fridge.

It was yummy, the cannoli cream was refreshing - not too sweet or cloying likely due to the orange extract. The pastry was flaky and buttery and went so well with the filling. It was just delicious all around. And so easy to make too! It looks so good, taste so good and is such a breeze to make! That's one of the reasons I love trying out the stuff EntertainingWithBeth puts out cos she really does give great instruction and her recipes are usually a cinch to prepare aside from being totally yummers!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone