Thursday, July 4, 2013

more than a month goes by.....

In the brief history of TIWFM, I don't think I've ever not written anything for any given month :D Sorry June 2013! Anyways, there were plenty of happenings, I was just too exhausted to type up anything PLUS they were mainly personal stuff that I didn't particularly want to reveal despite my relative anonymity.

I did however come across this article in the NY Times and felt compelled to reiterate my belief that society at large is abusing social media platforms in the most idiotic of ways! Do people think it's a smart idea to be posting threats against POTUS in such a public manner furthermore thinking they can get away with it? It makes me wonder what has happened to humankind in the broader sense - we have become a society of narcissitic, exhibitionist that has an unslakeable thirst for putting our grandiose ideas of ourselves out there for the whole world to see. Does nobody have an internal filter anymore? Are we that obsessed about being heard that we say anything and everything that produces synapses in our brain?

As much as I demonize social media, I do believe there is inherent goodness in them as was demonstrated to me last month when I had a personal family crisis and my extended family's Facebook group mobilized action using the site. In that respect, the news that was being conveyed was able to reach the majority of our family members in a timely way. I did thank God that I did not opt out of the mailing list for the group which I had been contemplating since being inundated with emails coming from various cousins promoting their MLM business. That was honestly the first time I found myself seeing the usefulness of Facebook for me. However, it doesn't totally change things for me personally. I still feel strongly the bad outweighs the good but that feeling I had about completely ditching the site has been squelched. My Facebook profile lives online to fight another day, hehehe.