Friday, August 27, 2010

beauty buys for aug '10

Yup, I'm just gonna be straighforward about my shopping expeditions now. No more kitschy, kooky, trying to be smart titles to disguise a post about my shopping habits. I mean, seriously, the majority of the time, I talk about lusting over things or actually buying them so I might as well not beat around the bush and get to the point, don't you agree?

And after that long-winded intro, here is moi getting to the point. As many of my purchasing exploits have shown, it all begins with a discount coupon. I can't resist a discount coupon. Strawberrynet was sad ('m not joking, that's what the email sent to me said - We are sad you haven't been shopping with us) I had not been buying from them since February of this year so they sent me a 5% discount coupon. Now, usually, I won't bat an eyelash at 5% cos that doesn't really encourage me to wield my credit card around when I don't have anything particular to get BUT I know that with this 5% discount on top of another 5% discount for buying 3 items and more as well as my loyalty discount - which is up to 7.5% now - I would get a total of 17.5% off of my total. And that's what spurred me to take a look at the site.

Ok, my sister had also been talking about restocking her Bliss skincare regime and I figured this would be the perfect time for her to get it. While waiting for her to come back with a list of the items she wanted, I did my own browsing. I didn't have anything in mind, really, but when I browse, I usually can find something :) And I ended up getting the three items below:


Seeing as I'm a big Benefit fan, I looked over the brand's selections on the site and saw that there was a promo for the concealer brush and the jumbo pencil sharpener. I don't have a concealer brush in my makeup tools repertoire and for USD12 before discount, I could part with that money, no questions. I've also wanted to get the jumbo sharpener for a long while cos I've had my Bad Gal eye liner for close to two years now and I've never managed to sharpen it. It's blunt and smudgy now so I'm hoping to rectify that with this purchase. And 2 pieces for the price of one - a sharpener costs 5 bucks on the Benefit website - I was definitely striking a bargain here.

Then I decided to have a looksie at some Stila stuff. I like Stila's makeup although not as much as Benefit's ;)I have a Stila eyeshadow trio that I absolutely love. And that I got off of Strawberrynet for just a lil over $7.50. So when I saw this Stila convertible lip color in blush bloom going for USD9.50, I thought definitely gonna get it! As the name suggests, it's a lipstick but can also be used as a blush. The shade is very in line with Autumn and is something that I don't own as most of my blushers are more in the pinkish/red hues than brown. I'm pretty excited to see how it'll look on my skintone.

And that was all I got. My total came up to USD22.96 after applying all discounts so I'm pretty happy with that. Anyways, I'm actually trying to cut down on the spending. It's hard considering I've been doing hard core shopping practically every month since I got that Miu Miu deerskin satchel and started my year of spending frivolously :D However, temptations abound and right now I'm in a quandry over this Material Girl (Madonna + Lourdes fashion line) pink lace mini dress from Macy's that's going for $21.99 now through Amazon.com. This is something I did want when I was trying to purchase my Unionbay cargo pants through the Macy's website but when I couldn't and had to go through Amazon, at the time the Material Girl line was not available.


Today, I just so happened to be browsing on Amazon and decided to see the Macy's Amazon storefront and on the face page of Clothing & Accessories, saw this dress. It originally costs 28 bucks but I guess Macy's is having a sale and has marked this cute dress down by about 6 dollars. Sigh. I am hesitating still but have a feeling I'll be giving in soonish. I just can't resist it, the outfit looks just so pretty! Oh, and saw the pants that I got and its now going for USD8.99. Went a bit nuts when I saw that but I figure, it's ok, at least the pants (along with my KMart stuff and my Newport News leather boyfriend blazer - which according to my sisters is totally gorge) will be waiting for me when I trek home next Sunday for my holiday. I cannot wait!

UPDATE:
LOL, didn't take long for me to cave and get the dress. Total paid inclusive shipping was USD27.95. Thought I'd give my AMEX a rest and put it on my MC :) Sigh. I really like the dress and I just could not help myself!

UPDATE (02/09/2010):
Sigh, sigh and add another double sigh. It's a bit shitty when you're all happy and giddy because your nice new pale pink confection of a dress has arrived but then you find out that right after you purchased it for the price of 21.99 American dollars, Macy's goes and slashes the price down to the bargain bin price of $11.99. That's 10 bucks difference, people, TEN BUCKS! Sigh, sigh and double sigh.....