Friday, January 27, 2012

A5 jailbroken!

Ever since I started dabbling in jailbreaking, I can't seem to stay on the straight and narrow. I have been waiting impatiently for the A5 core to be jailbroken from the first day I got my hands on my iPhone 4S. And my waiting (and prayers) were answered when the jailbreak was finally released last Saturday/Sunday.


The Chronic Dev Team released Absinthe which would jailbreak any A5 core device. In this case, the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2. Although some people experienced a few technical hiccups using Absinthe, I found that my jailbreak process went over with no complications. This was my first time jailbreaking my iDevice using something other than a Redsn0w release. I have to say, Absinthe really made things easier since I did not have to put my phone in DFU mode or anything of the sort. Just plug the phone in using the connector cable, run Absinthe and the application will do the rest. It didn't even have to be switched off.

Now I understand some people do not understand the allure of jailbreaking (like my sis) and some do it simply to get cracked ipas onto their phone. I guess for those who own an iPhone but do not live in a country that has their own app store, jailbreaking is their only means of having a fully functioning iDevice. For me, it's not entirely about the cracked apps. I just love being able to customize the phone to my liking without having Apple tell me what I can't or cannot do (notice the double negative :D). I mean I paid a huge sum for the product, I want to be able to set it up however I please.

For example, I get to use whatever ringtone I choose without having it limited to 30/40 seconds. Same applies to alarm tones. That cap on time for tones is something that truly annoyed me. I also love having SBSettings, which is an add-on I get from the Cydia store from BigBoss. It allows for all the main settings you use most often to be available for access with a swipe of your finger on the status bar. This means not having to go to Settings continously to switch Wifi/Airplane/Bluetooth on/off. One of my must-haves.

Another Cydia app I got is iFile, which is the windows explorer equivalent for the iDevice. I sometimes find using iTunes tedious so when I connect my iDevice to my computer over the air using either CyberDuck (when on the Mac Pro) or WinSCP on windows, I can do file transfers easily without going through the constant backing up and syncing I'd normally have to endure via iTunes. I just go directly to the app directory and put my files in the right folders.

Another thing I love is InfiniDock. This add-on from Cydia allows the user to have as many as 10 apps sitting in the dock. I can't understand why Apple wanted to restrict the number of apps you can put in your dock, in general I have 7 apps I constantly use at any given time and I hate to have to scroll through the screens or go into my folders for apps that I tend to always use.

Ok, if I went on, this post will go on for a number of pages. Those are just my top 3 Cydia 'enhancements' I guess. Oh, a special mention - I also love using Mobile Terminal. I'm really a command line girl at heart so this was one of the best things I installed (used in conjunction with OpenSSH) on my iDevices.

Just talking about the iPhone 4S, it truly has lived up to my expectations of it. It's fast, the camera is amazing and with all the available camera apps, it really makes my spending 950 dollars justifiable. I especially am impressed with the app ProCamera which allows for zoom within video recording. Something the built-in camera app does not do. I also love this other app that I've been playing with which is called Auto-Adjust. It basically adjust an images balance settings. I used this on some of the pics I took using my old iPhone 2G and it's really amazing how the photos are instantly given life. Really great for photos taken under low lighting where you can barely make out what the pic is about.

Anyways, its coming up to a week that my device has been jailbroken and I've been completely happy with the results. Thanks so much to Pod2G, whose site I stalked for a month plus and the Chronic Dev Team, MuscleNerd and all others who put in the time and effort to come up with the A5 jailbreak. I am grateful. Good job, guys!