Friday, January 27, 2012

kimi raikkonen overhyped

Lol, I know, seems rather blasphemous of me to be typing that what with all the Kimi worship I've done in the past.

In no way am I saying that I'm no longer a Kimi fan, I'm die-hard all the way but I have to admit that his return has basically turned the whole F1 community rather bonkers. All the speculation and over-speculations on how well he'll do, the expectations of him, the general insanity of his comeback, it just does my head in.

There is such a thing as too much news and all these so called professional opinions, whether favourable or otherwise, they are just getting to the point of ridiculousness. I just want to get news on the testing results and his current progress (which I'm doiing via the Lotus Renault official twitter feed) not have to see headline upon headline of Kimi Raikkonen comeback disaster/success.

And lets not talk about the fans and naysayers. The man realistically states his chances at winning the WDC and the naysayers jump down his throat for not being all gung-ho about his prospects. The fans who defend him are even starting to irritate me. Kimi is a fantastic driver and I don't believe all the motivation crap written about him but let's not beat that dead horse anymore. Fans, just stop trying to convince people he's motivated. I look at him and see his motivation and that's enough for me. The naysayers will see what they want to see. We'll just have to wait and see when Australia rolls arund at the end of March.

Which seems like a long way away. I can't wait for it. It's been too long since I've had a vested interest in a race. I hope Kimi's comeback gets off to a great start but I am aware of the realities of his situation. As much as I want to believe it'll be like he never went away, there are too many unknown variables (mainly the Pirellis) that will most likely hinder a stellar comeback. Prove me wrong, Kimster!