Friday, January 27, 2012

something retro

Is it rude that I'm calling books retro?

Since discovering how much eBooks make life easier, I haven't forked out as much money as I used to on good old-fashioned books. I didn't stop buying them completely but there was a marked drop off for sure.

Last December, TheBookDepository.co.uk had a 10% discount on books and I decided to get a few books. As usual shipping is free worldwide so that really helps with the overall cost of buying books online.

My first buy was the Discovery Channel publication Deadliest Catch: Desperate Hours. Yup, my Deadliest Catch love is still going strong. Sometimes I do realize how weird it is that I'm so into a profession all about catching large crabs. I do, trust me. I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago. Made for interesting bedtime reading. This book was released after the third season aired so all the major players from that season were featured in the book. Basically it's a look behind the scenes of what makes the show.

The other book I got was from one of my favourite female authors, Dorothy Koomson. She's perhaps the only female author I will definitely shell out money for. I really love how she weaves her stories. It's mostly rather depressing with a tinge of light at the end of the tunnel. This latest release of hers in particular seems to have me more depressed than ever. I can't seem to pick it up to get any further cos I just feel sad when I read it. It's called The Ice Cream Girls. It's a story about two women whose lives were intertwined as teenagers when they were both charged with murdering their shared lover and the fallout from their past. As you can see, Dorothy Koomson does not shy away from controversial storylines. She's touched upon rape, cancer and the like and they may not be light reading but they certainly give you food for thought.

Last book from my online haul was from Imogen Edward-Jones Babylon series Wedding Babylon. I've talked before on this blog about liking her 'industry insider' tell-truths. This is about, what else, the billion dollar wedding industry. Haven't started on this since I have another Babylon book to start on first that I got ages ago. Sometimes the mood has to strike before you want to read something.

Another book buy I made in store was Lauren Conrad's Style. I've been wanting this for a long time and when I saw it promoted as a Christmas Special, I decided to get it. I've pored over it and have to admit that her style advice is relatable and spot-on. Some of the stuff she mentions seem like common sense but isn't done anyway. The tone of the book is very accessible which is the personality Lauren Conrad seems to project.

So those were some of my recent literary gets. I think I only got 8 books last year. I'm usually a 20 book kinda person. But eBooks have been much kinder to the wallet so as crappy as it makes me feel to get the stuff for free, I can't help keeping on doing it since it helps keep my habit going without bankrupting me. Sorry authors!