Sunday, January 29, 2012

it's off

I did a post last year regarding my bestie from Oz whose fiance suddenly did a 180 and broke up with her. Then he did another 180 a week later and said he was having cold feet and the wedding was back on.

Planning a wedding, once it starts, it's like a juggernaut, it keeps gathering steam. Up till mid-January, the venue, clothes, the officiator, the honeymoon, the necessary pre-wedding registration, bla, bla, bla, had been done. He had even converted as well. They were in Homeland till January 11 doing wedding stuff before making their way back to Oz. I waited till about 2 weeks ago before I got my tickets homeward bound for the ceremony and reception. The following weekend, the wedding was called off. This time for good.

In a completely quiet moment, he told her he could not go through with it. That he is unhappy (still, I guess) and that he only loves her as a friend. He said that he's worried that if he goes through with marrying her, he'll end up cheating on her. He's also concerned about any kids they might have, well, if something were to strain their relationship, she might just up and leave back to Homeland and take their hypothetical kids with her.

Well, long story short, he's been cheating on her for the past 2 years. 6 weeks after agreeing to get married, he flew to Vietnam to see this girl he'd been carrying on with. All I have to say is, he fucked it up. This dude did not realize how great my friend is, how lucky he was. For her, good riddance. Obviously he is not the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with.

I don't understand why in the moments where I loosen up on the whole relationship thing, something like this happens and it makes me close myself off again. It's like anytime I think I can be open to something, someone's relationship failure pops up like a reminder. A reminder to what, I'm not even sure. How the hell am I supposed to move forward?