Friday, January 27, 2012

despite my postal woes....

and to be specific, my awful Strawberrynet experience, I am still a devotee to the beauty e-tailer. So much so, I recently got a few more stuff from them. I know, I know, I keep buying beauty products like I'm stocking up to makeover the whole world or something :) At least I'm not as bad as those beauty gurus on Youtube. Having a whole makeup cabinet seems OTT to me. But their OTT-ness gives me plenty of ideas for what I buy for myself so carry on, keeping on, Youtubers!

So back to my beauty buys. I got my Murad stuff when my cousin came to Workland last week with her Uni group. I have to say, I am REALLY loving the Murad Blemish Control Starter Kit. I'll do a rundown of those products later. But it really inspired me to splurge on another Murad product, this time from their Resurgence line - the Renewing Eye Cream. It comes in a 15 ml pump bottle and some of the claims of the product are:


  • An extraordinary treatment to firm & restore delicate eye zone
  • Intensely boosts collagen synthesis to reduce fine lines & wrinkles
  • Wild yam & soybean increases moisture, elasticity & firmness
  • Eye brightening complex eliminates dark circles & puffiness
  • Your eyes dramatically appear smooth, luminous & youthful
  • Suitable for all skin types

I lifted the info straight off of Strawberrynet.


It sells for USD76 on the site but the RRP is UD73 on drugstore.com I think. So I'm getting it for 3 bucks more but free shipping really does make up for the higher price. This is perhaps, the priciest actual skincare product that I've gotten since my Clarisonic. It took quite a bit of convincing to pay that much for an eye cream I don't know will work on me or not but I decided to take the plunge because of the rather great reviews it has received. If 50 plus, 60 plus women are saying they see a difference after using this, at my age, I should be able to make those fine lines that have started to appear underneath my eyes practically invisble - I'm realistic, I know when there are lines, they don't go away, they just become less visible to the naked eye. That's all I can ask for :D

Another product I got was the Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Powder with SPF20. I decided to get it in the shade Radiant which appears to be a warmer tone of my PurePressed Base Riviera. I am really beginning to love Jane Iredale's mineral makeup line. I decide to give the loose powders a go because I think it'll give me a more even coverage then using the pressed compacts. It's described as follows (also lifted verbatim from the Strawberrynet site though image was screen capped from janeiredale.com):


  • Mineral base loose powder makeup with broad spectrum sun protection
  • Shields skin from the damage of UVA/B rays
  • Provides optimal coverage of dark circles, discoloration & minor imperfections
  • Water-resistant & long wearing
  • Leaves you a flawless, natural looking complexion
  • Free of oil, talc, dyes & parabens

Looking at the image from janeiredale.com makes the tone of the powder darker than I imagined. But on Strawberrynet, it did not look so....tanned is the best way I can describe the shade. I would have screen capped the image from Strawberrynet but the shade is out of stock since I purchased the powder. The powder is being sold for $47.50 though it's RRP is $42.00. Again, factor in shipping to Homeland, I'll pay the additional five dollars and 50 cents :)

Now, it wouldn't be a Strawberrynet purchase if it wasn't driven by a promo. My sis had a 'We Miss You' discount of 7% and since she was making a fragrance buy, by adding my skincare and makeup purchase, she didn't have to pay for fragrance shipping. Plus, we also got an additional 3% for getting 4 items as well as her loyalty discount which is at 3% right now. In total, I got a 13% discount on my stuff which meant I did save in the long run. After the discounts, the Murad Renewing Eye Cream came up to $66.50 and the Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Powder cost $41.56. So I may not have saved too much on the powder but it beats paying 20 bucks to have it shipped back to Homeland :D