Sunday, September 16, 2012

a piece a year?


Last year I bought myself the gold bracelet and charm from Tiffanys'. It's something I've been wearing every day and I truly enjoy this purchase - well, I better, it did cost me 2.5k USD, after all! Anyways, I mentioned in the post last year that I wanted to get myself a ring too. At the time I was thinking Tiffany as well but I'm going to be more flexible in regards to where I'm gonna get the ring. I've been casually looking at simple gold rings, nothing fancy, just plain gold with no stones but with a unique design.

I finally settled on a "concept" in terms of what I want. I would love to get a simple yellow gold ring with an infinity knot design. I googled it and found this Etsy shop that hand crafts these 14K solid gold bands. The e-tailer is IndulgentDesigns based out of British Columbia, Canada. I'm particularly enamoured with the Hug Ring as its called.



According to the description, the Hug Ring is called as it is..."because the gold wire loops against each other in a tight and never ending hug-like embrace". While I'm not particular about the meaning behind the design, I do believe it's a cute description. I think the ring is just truly gorgeous in it's overall simplicity. It goes for USD198. Plus shipping would cost $208. Looking at the images, I feel paying this much for this ring through etsy would be okay considering the width of the wire appears to be rather solid. Some of the rings I've seen, generally look quite thin. I also do prefer this design because it is crafted using 2 solid gold wires instead of the one. The seller also has the traditional infinity ring but it did look a tad flimsy although was much cheaper at USD112.

I'm going to mull on this for a bit before I decide if I wanna take the plunge. If I do, it would effectively close the books on my precious jewelry collection in terms of items I choose to wear. I don't particularly want to own tons, I just prefer to buy items I'm gonna be wearing constantly. What I wear daily consists of pieces that hold some meaning for me. I wear two yellow gold necklaces, one given by my mom that comes with a heart pendant with a raised 'O' and another from my grandma. I wear a pair of white gold tiny hoop earrings with diamond accent which my dad gifted when I graduated university. And I have my charm bracelet with my Tiffany Notes 'O' charm. My family nickname is something that begins with 'O' which is why all my lettered charms starts with that letter. They are all simple with very clean lines hence why I love something like the Hug Ring. A simple yet beautiful design like this one would fit right in with my personal aesthetics :)

DISCLAIMER:
Image was screen capped off of IndulgentDesigns etsy.com page. It does not belong to moi.