Saturday, December 6, 2008

listening to.....

After my last post on music, I figured I seriously needed to tweak my playlist with more recent tunes, grow out of my musical comfort zone so I've been listening to a bunch of people especially a lot of the new female singers; the popular Katy Perry, Marie Digby, Sara Bareilles and then the not as mainstream Kate Voegele, Kate Nash and Tristan Prettyman.

One thing I've noticed with the current crop of these young female songstresses is how almost identical their sounds are which has me slightly confused as they are all out to be different from one another. Katy Perry, Kate Nash and Lily Allen all have the same vibe although I have a marginal preference leaning towards Kate Nash because her songs are more honest lyrically, it's not out to provoke you by being controversial ala Katy Perry nor quite as rude as Lily Allen but she is telling the story of what a typical young woman goes through, she's relatable. Same goes with Marie Digby, Sara Bareilles, Kate Voegele and Tristan Prettyman. Pretty much coming in from the same genre, it gets quite mind boggling at times.

I've also caved in and listened to Coldplay's Viva La Vida as well as Simple Plan's self titled album. I have a slight dislike towards Chris Martin (I believe it stems from my dislike of Gwyneth Paltrow) and have been prejudiced towards Coldplay's music prior to this but being accosted everywhere by one or all of the 3 single releases (Viva La Vida, Violet Hill & Lost) for the past half year, I have been subtly brainwashed into liking them. The song Generation by Simple Plan is such an anthem song, it's catchy which got me to listen to the rest of the album and I found that they are alright as well.

I have also taken a spin in Jason Mraz's rocket. Ok, that's a take on his album 'Waiting For My Rocket To Come'. I love his song 'The Remedy (I Won't Worry)' and the other 2 singles 'You and I Both' and 'I'll Do Anything' are catchy, sing-along tunes as well. I've also gotten the soundtrack to the movie 'Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist' and have been listening along but haven't really pinned down any favourites besides the song 'Xavia' by The Submarines.

And I got the concert recording of Linkin Park's 'Road To Revolution: Live In Milton Keynes'. As much as I love you guys, LP, I have to agree with some of the reviews on Amazon that this was simply lacking in the vocals department. I have heard Chester on form in the 'Live In Texas' and 'Collision Course' recordings as well as at the Rock AM Ring last year but at Milton Keynes he simply sounded quite flat-ish on the rock-out meter. Still pretty rocking, it's just when you've heard him at his best, kinda hard to swallow sub-par Chester. Mike is not without blame either. Perhaps they were exhausted from the extensive touring they had been doing. Whatever the reason, this was not Linkin Park at their best vocally. Rob B (the hardest working drummer in the plethora of current rock bands), Mr Hahn, Phoenix and Brad, you guys were business as usual! Regardless, LP, you are still my number 1!

I still have a few albums I want to get before doing a complete playlist overhaul. I really want to get Oasis's new album 'Dig Out Your Soul'. 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)' still remains in my top ten favourite albums of all time so I have high expectations of this latest offering. The Verve's 'Forth' seems a good bet as well, along with The Killers's new one 'Day and Age'. I've also heard good rumblings on Keane's 'Perfect Symmetry' but I'm not really sure if it's really my cup of tea, might give them a listen anyway. And who can leave out Guns N' Roses 'Chinese Democracy', that's a default listen.

Ok, I have my work cut out for me if I want to come out with a new playlist by the year's end. It's a tough job!