Friday, December 5, 2008

gift of self-giving, part 1

Yes, tis the season to be giving and I am always in the mood for self-gifting. I'm stuck at work during these holidays so I figure I have carte blanche to make moi feel better with some really great prezzies to myself.



Thus far, I have gotten myself the gift of fragrance. I purchased Gwen Stefani's L.A.M.B. 100 ml EDP. It's been released for some time but it retails for USD70 methinks for the 100 ml bottle and I was not about to spend that much on a celebrity scent, no matter how often I loved to sniff the samplers in my magazines. For quite some time I'd be walking around with L's scent constantly at the tip of my nose.

Anyways, there's this great beauty products site that I always go to which offers great deals on numerous name brands, it's called Strawberrynet, and they always have all sorts of great promo discount to encourage you to spend money (hehehe, it's true!). For example, every time you make a purchase at the site, each purchase will receive a loyalty bonus discount, from 1%-10%. It starts out at 1% from your first buy and the more times you buy from them, the larger the discounts gets. On any given purchase you can receive 5% off if you buy 3 or more products. And get this, shipping is FREE to anywhere in the world for skincare and make up AND for all fragrance items only 10% charge of sales (max USD 15) is added for delivery. If you haven't been buying from them, they'll actually send you a special email asking you to come visit the site and they'll give you additional 'please-come-back-and-spend-your-dosh' discounts. This is on top of the sometimes already discounted prices of the products and the checkout discount you automatically receive with purchase.

So, I recently got an email of a huge fragrance blowout Strawberrynet were having, between 40%-60% off, and thought I'd have a looksie, see if Gwen's L was on the market. Lo and behold (laughs, always wanted to write that!), it so was and it was going for 40% off and would ultimately cost me USD42. That's a total savings of USD28 I'm able to spend on something else! But, I held off, I figured I still have my signature Lancome Oui and Hilary Duff's With Love to finish. Perhaps, sensing my hesitation, the marketing geniuses at Strawberrynet sent me another email giving me an extra 7.5% off on my total purchase. Now, I can't keep on refusing a semi gift-horse can I? I'm being offered discount upon discount and if I don't take the proverbial bull by the horns I will end up L.A.M.B-less.

Short story long, I'm one fragrance up and happy to have come away spending a mere USD42.21 after all discounts were applied! The savings I made on this purchase, I'm using on a Barnes & Noble leather-bound book purchase where I'll receive a 50% discount. I'll blog about that once it's through. Till my next buy.....