Tuesday, December 2, 2008

i sooooooo covet.....the smartphone that puts all pretenders of the throne to shame, Nokia N97


iPhone, schmiPhone. I will own this! The Nokia N97 (background harp music plays)! A work of technological art. The full QWERTY keyboard, the touchscreen, the 32/48 FRICKIN GIGABYTES OF ONBOARD STORAGE! I'm soooooo ready to dump my iPhone and I don't even have one! Yes, exclamation points are a must as I nearly gave in to the iPhone mania but now....the mobile phone gods, Nokia, have smiled upon me, wielded their mighty Neptune-like pitchfork thingy and saved me from my weakening will (hehehe, I could so turn this into something dirty but I won't AND am obviously making no sense right now as my brain is still focusing on the pretty, pretty, pretty mobile phone!) and the phenomena that is the iPhone blackhole.

Ok, dramatics and aversion to all things bandwagon-y aside, I sooooooo covet this phone! It had me at slide-out QWERTY keyboard as I'm not really a haptic kinda gal, I like using my opposable thumbs to type my sms-es, emails, web adds, etc. Plus, I'm used to the QWERTY on my E61i and can't quite see myself go stylus all the way. The 3.5 inch touchscreen with a 16:9 aspect ratio comparable to that of the iPhone does not hurt at all. Extolling further the virtues of the amazing N97, a 5-megapixel camera with...yea...dual LED flash! Beat that all other smartphone pretenders!

Bad things about the phone that I basically don't care about...the weight...I don't care that at 150g, it is heavier than the iPhone by a smidge. I carry a handbag full of heavy crap, a few more grams than usual will not pose a problem for me. I'm on an exercise trip high right now, it can be my hand weight! Not as slim as the iPhone? No problemo, the better to grip the thing while I'm curling my biceps, triceps, whatevs. And I can also do without the multitouch gestures, you know the pinching the screen action the iPhone can do, boohoo, such a loss :P

Riiight, again, let's get back on track and quit with the childish passive-aggressive behavior towards inanimate objects. (Adopts serious tone and takes deep breath)...The Nokia N97 also comes with 32/48 GB onboard memory (reports vary but the baseline is plentiful gigabyte goodness!), microSD card expansion slot, built-in GPS, Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, a battery life of 499 hours on standby and 270 minutes of video playback including the ability to play flash vids which currently eludes the iPhone! And finally deserving honourable mention, another great trait the N97 possesses is it's built upon the ever-reliable Symbian platform!

The cost for all this techie goodness? A whopping 550, my friends! Euros! Laughs, yea, that's still not enough to deter me...I will own this!

P.S: Expect the N97 in the first half of 2009....can't wait!