Friday, December 12, 2008

woe is me.....

Or it could be simply a blessing in disguise. I have officially stopped self-gifting for December. My credit card got canceled :P Yup, right after my last online purchase at Benefit, the next day I received a disturbing text from my mother telling me to cease and desist on all credit based purchases. With no further explanation. That's my mum, ladies and gents. Leaves you hanging :)

Of course this shard of information is not enough and has me going all Curious George. After a text request for a follow-up went unanswered so a slightly costly call to home ensued. I call my mother's mobile and get my sister. Figures. My mum assigned her sms duties, she was in the midst of composing the story. Anyways, turns out my dad's credit card got cloned by some devious humanoids out there. The credit card company called, after the fact, and enquired about a hefty charge totaling $1084 for marketing products. What in hell's name are marketing products? If it were me I'd go crazy on more mainstream retail items.

Anyways, the card I use for my online sprees is a supplementary of my dad's cloned card, which leads us to the blanket cancelation. Just to be clear, I may be a supplementary but all charges are settled personally in full (we are a family that do not believe in minimum monthly payments, that's how THEY get you, with the interest you accumulate), my dad is no crutch. As much as I was concerned about the whole card cloning issue, I was mighty relieved I got all my online shopping done and dusted prior to the incident (all ordered items are presently at some stage of shipment).

I only own the one card as I strongly believe multiple credit card ownership is a sure-fire way of digging your own financial grave, which I'm sure many people can attest to that as a fact since credit card debt is one of the biggest issues facing Americans, and perhaps, consumers around the world at large. With the temporary loss of my good friend Mastercard, I am now able to be free of the temptation of online shopping for the rest of this month, well actually, till I receive my replacement card next week.

Hence, no more credit shopping for me, it's all cash from here baby, all 390 dollars of it!