Thursday, March 12, 2009

lunchtime madness

I really should STOP wandering round the shops during lunchtime! That's when I get into the most trouble :(

As per usual, I am doing a walkabout and I spot this dress hanging in one of the shops. I had just come off the escalator coming from the rooftop foodcourt and from 20 metres away, my eye caught its first glimpse of this gorgeous emerald green long sleeved dress with a funky peacock inspired pattern in cream and orange. The overall look is simply feminine. All this happened in a mere 4 seconds. But as it was at the opposite end of the escalator, I didn't head straight for it. I have a system when I'm window shopping.....start on the side you came up/down from and work your way around. So I'm making my way slowly around, just pacing myself. I finally reach the general area of the dress 5 minutes later *GRINS* Yea that is what I call pacing myself. I casually stroll to the store entrance and look up to where the dress is hanging.....for a good 2 minutes.....before I walk away. I like to do a price check walk-by before I commit to anything.

I walk over to the shop across and as I'm skimming the sales rack, my head is busy having a fight between want and need. The reason is cause the dress I was coveting was on sale for 11 DOLLARS! Then as this debate rages on in my head, my hand touches upon something and my eyes move down to look at the piece I stopped on. DAMN, DAMN AND DOUBLE DAMN! I just put my hands on this gorgeous geometric sequinned v-neck long top, something that I've been looking for and its going for 10 DOLLARS. WTH?!?! Are you kidding me?? Geez!

I leave that shop, only to saunter over to a different store where they have an everything for 7 dollars rack outside. I browse through the rack while the inner turmoil continues. I spot a great looking array of long sleeve solid colour knee length dresses with black trim. Now I'm truly conflicted!


Let's just say, lust won out over rational thinking and I went back to the office with a shopping bag in hand, and a tin of button mushrooms and kettle chips in honey dijon. I passed on the 7 dollar dresses but I can't seem to stop thinking about them so I might go have another look at them today. *SIGH* I just wish I had more self-control but those pretty dresses, they sing their siren songs and I'm being lured back.


I dunno if they'll still be there cos when I left, there were a group of girls crowding the rack, if I'm lucky, perhaps the dresses will be all gone and thus, temptation is removed!

UPDATE:
Well, I went to look at the 7 dollar chiffon dresses and there was only one left in pink. Yesterday when I was browsing there were 4 pieces in black, gray, purple and the pink. I would have gotten the pink, it's a nice soft pink shade with black satin trim and would have looked great with some black leggings but the ribbon belt was missing so I passed on it. I did get myself a book. I know I said I wouldn't get anymore books but I figured this was a worthwhile buy. There's a used books fair in the concourse area of the mall and having a look around I found a Paris guide book published in 2005 for 4 bucks.


Although 4 years old, I would say most of the information in my copy of "Fodor's 05 Paris" is still relevant. It also had the added benefit of the former owner's notes which is cool. I've been reading it and now am even more excited about the trip than before. I mentioned before that I'm thinking out my attire for the trip. I've been planning and re-planning my wardrobe in my head. I'm probably going to get even worse after I read the section on etiquette and behavior. It mentioned that part of the French habit is to people watch where they'll scrutinize your clothes from head to toe. I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of finding something to mock about me so I'm going to have study Parisian fashion more arduously, read more magazines and blogs for the latest trends for fall '09. What a chore :D