Saturday, March 7, 2009

a hairy affair

In a recent post, I talked about my DIY fringe modification. Although I like the change, having the bangs in my eyes is quite a drag. After enduring 3 days of having my eyeballs being poked and irritated by my fringe, I decided to invest in some hair accessories.

My hair is one of my least fussed about features. I believe my tendency to self-style my own haircut proves that I don't have it as top priority when it comes to creating/taking care of my appearance. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I'm genetically blessed with a head of hair that's not difficult to manage. I don't even own a hairdryer, least of all a tourmaline, ionic, straightener thingamabob. I own a coupla scrunchies and elastic hair ties. My only hair splurge would be on claw clips, I do buy a lot of claw clips as they tend to break on me more times than I can count. At first I thought it's because I was being el-cheapo and buying crap quality claw clips but after my rather expensive Evita Peroni broke as well, I figure I might as well buy the cheap ones. Hairbands are also no friends of mine. I like those bands that have the teeth for that extra fringe grip but, those like to die an early death as well, I can't get them to last more than a month or so.

Anyways, a brand that I discovered last year and which has become my go-to for all accessories hair-related is Goody. I first found them through an issue of Cosmo. There was a plug for the Goody Styling Therapy reduce+dandruff paddle brush. I don't have a problem with dandruff (I keep it that way using Head & Shoulders) but I love the claim that a copper-infused brush can assist in reducing a common hair health problem. I bought it and it is now my numero uno hairbrush (I have 2 others, a wooden The Body Shop oval brush with metal bristles and a Denman plastic paddle brush).

So when I thought of acquiring some hair accessories, I didn't have to think about it, I was going Goody all the way. I had recently read about the Goody Ouchless range coming out with pain-free headbands and I figured I would get one of those. I use the Goody Ouchless Elastic Ties and they have been great in lessening hair breakage and pain due to all the pulling when tying or taking out hair. There's only one shop I know of in this city that sells Goody products and since I was meeting up with my colleagues for a mall crawl, I figured might as well sway them to go to the complex where this store is at.

Simply put, I bought myself a few Goody-ies (hehehe). Got the Goody So Mini Oval Brush to stuff in my purse and for travel cos I don't want to lug around my big paddle brushes, risking spoiling the bristles. The brush is compact yet the brush head is substantial and it has a non-slip rubber grip. It does a great job at detangling my hair after its been put up in an updo all day. It cost USD2.50 which is a bargain. I also got myself a new claw clip, Goody Classic Large Claw Clip in black. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend on a claw clip, about USD2 (ok, I know that the price is not actually a bank breaker but I usually get my cheapo clips for about 50 cents).


I thought I'd give Goody claw clips a go since I've had a good run with their other products. The spring feels a bit more flexible than I'm used too and it does have a tendency to lose grip from staying put and end up hanging down but it still keeps my hair together, we'll see how it goes in the next couple of days. Lastly, I got the Goody StayPut FitClip NoSlide headwrap. Yea, instead of the Ouchless headbands, I thought I'd go for this range instead. Geared towards more athletic conditions, the stayput headwrap is basically an elastic band with a dotted surface that provides the necessary traction to keep its hold on your head. Its grip is firm and painless, doing the job of keeping your bangs out of your eyes and off of your forehead magnificently. This particular model has an adjustable clip so one can comfortably fit the band around one's head. At a price of USD3.10, I simply love it, it's keeping my forehead and eyes fringe-free and there's no chance of me breaking this unless I decide to use it as a slingshot.