Friday, October 8, 2010

decisions, decisions

Well, I've finally narowed my choices down to the Large Pebbled Tote and the Cerise Leopard Mini Messenger. One costs $49.99, the other just $14.99.

I'm a fan of the large tote primarily cos its roomy, its faux leather and its a relatively cheap bag for heavy duty activities. Living in a tropical country with rainstorms, I do prefer my bags to be cheap yet sturdy. As well as fashionable. From the multiple images I've seen of this tote, the construction and material used look to be of really good quality. One gripe I would have is that its not a zip top. There is just a buckle clasp that comes over to close the opening, it will not prevent the inside from sticky fingers or from raindrops when caught without an umbrella. Many have mentioned it has the look of a diaper bag. Personally, I think it looks like a classy, non-descript functional work tote. Big enough to carry all sorts of work junk including a laptop. I like it.

My other option is the smaller sized crossbody bag in hot pink leopard print. This is the choice I'm going for just so I can have a piece from the collection in a completely out-of-character kind of print. I love the cerise leopard iterations, I just don't have a clue if I can pull off the animal print look without looking like a big, giant FAIL :) So, I think I should start small, with just the crossbody. It won't be too overwhelming and it'll serve as a small yet fun piece to complement neutral outfits.

I am definitely not gonna be getting both. It's an either/or thing for me. I'll admit, I have had a few mishaps with the handbags from Target's capsule collections. For example, even though I love to death the Botkier For Target black satchel, it really was not too well-constructed. After two months of usage, the stitching at the base of the handle started tearing. I was upset and tried to save the bag many times by sewing and gluing and multiple other DIY measures but to no avail. I was disappointed but it did not deter me from trying something else from other 'Made For Target' lines.

Next was the Anya Hindmarch For Target gold hobo. When I received it, I'll admit, I was disappointed with the overall look of the bag. The faux patent sheen was just too plasticky and it came off looking more sporty rather than glamorous as the images on the site portrayed. The colour combination looked much better on the site than it does in reality. Other than that, it is a nice bag. I just wished I hadn't been so hell bent on the gold and had gotten the black faux python instead, I think that would have looked so much better and would have gotten more rotations.

My last purchase from a Target handbag diffusion line was the Flight Tote from the Hayden Harnett collection. I had high hopes for this bag. I figured this would be the ultimate tote for my air travel jaunts. The reality is, the bag is simply too big, things get lost inside, the strap is too long - the top of the bag hits below my butt - and the handles are too small and flimsy (as is the case with the long strap). Aside form the Botkier which I totally loved but it got ruined waaay too quickly for my liking, I was underwhelmed by the other 2 bags. So far, I am 0 for 3 on the 'For Target' lines.

Which is why I will not be buying either of the bags from the Mulberry For Target collection immediately after the release. I'm going to wait a coupla months - maybe December - and if there's still some in stock online, that's when I'll get it. I don't want to pay full price for this if I'm going to end up not liking it so as much as I want to get one this Sunday, I refuse to pay full price and will just wait for the price to inevitably fall.