Thursday, August 11, 2011

bountiful beauty buys

Ok, perhaps bountiful is an exaggeration, more like a monthly stream of items by the handful. And I know it's now August. And I'm retroactively blogging about April, May, June & July purchases :D Just wasn't in the mood earlier so I'm doing it now.

I guess at the point I was getting these, I wasn't particularly in a shopping mood, I was simply trying to take my mind off of the external circumstances that were plaguing my peace of mind - my work situation. I came to realize later that whatever it was, the shopping was not helping in any way to alleviate the feelings of despair I was beginning to find myself shrouded in.

But anywho, not the point of the post, let's keep things frivolous :D Most of the stuff I got were from drugstore.com. Back in April I made some purchases from the site and got a bunch of stuff - some were replenishment, others were new things I wanted to try out. I was replenishing my supply of Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask, stocking up another tube of Ambi Fade Cream and getting another bottle of Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 softgels in a higher IU.

My experience with using the Ambi Fade Cream has been going rather well. But I thought I wanted better and faster results so besides another tube of the Fade Cream, I decided to also buy the Ambi Even & Clear Targeted Mark Minimizer. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! It does what it says. I put it on the hyperpigmented areas on my face and it has steadily diminished the appearance of all the unsightly dark spots. It does take time but the combo of the Fade Cream and the Mark Minimizer is giving me back my pre-problem skin.

One of the new things I got that might appear to be a baffling buy was something called Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. Lol, ok, I know, what is so fantastic about a chafing relief gel? That's the reaction I got from my sisters when the package arrived and they opened it to find the tube of chafing gel in my order :) When I was doing my research on the Urban Decay facial sprays, I came across a girl's blog that mentioned the Monistat Chafing Relief Gel. She had been using it as a face primer. Yes, I know, a gel that is meant to be used in places where a person normally experiences chafing, for example on the inner thighs, this girl was putting on her face???? She extolled the virtues of the gel as a primer and it piqued my curiosity. I decided to google the gel and to my complete amazement, there were hundreds of other people who were using this product for the exact same purpose - as a face primer! People were comparing it to the Smashbox bestselling primer and also saying it was better than the Makeup Forever HD primer which I owned. And at a measly $8.49 on drugstore.com, I sure as hell was gonna give it a try. My MUFE primer cost me a lil over 50 bucks! The verdict: I am currently using my tube of Monistat and I have to say, I am joining the beauty herd on this one. Love it. Even managed to convince my sisters to convert to it :D Anyways, got myself another tube in a June order as what I have right now is gonna finish in the near future.

Also, in that April order was the Acnevir Acne & Redness Relief gel which is now my go-to zit treatment. I think it's the best one I've used bar none. You can keep your Mario Badescu's, I'm completely happy with my drugstore spot treatment. I think it works as its advertised - and it does it well. It also makes an appearance in my June order - I decided to stock up while it was on sale.

Another beauty-related purchase I made in June was to get the Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Moisturize Night Resurfacing Elixir. Phew, what a mouthful. I had read rave reviews about this product and wanted to give this a try. It's supposed to give results like a microdermabrasion treatment without the harshness so I figured I could see if it lived up to the hype. I did not get this from drugstore.com as I got a better deal through Amazon using their "Subscribe & Save" deal. I paid a lil over 16 bucks for a bottle. I used this for 2 weeks after getting it last month but I have stopped since then. I had been using a number of new products when I first started using the elixir and something new in my beauty routine caused minute bumps to form on various areas on my face. They're not visible but when I am washing my face or putting moisturiser on, I can feel them. So I am in the process of elimination. It could be the elixir, it could be the Neutrogena cleanser I got a coupla months back and just started using or it could be the Garnier blotting powder I started incorporating into my routine. Whatever it is, I have stopped using all three for now and will slowly re-introduce the products one by one to see which caused the problem.

And the last beauty purchase is one that I made in early July. I was trying to get rid of my drugstore dollars and decided to use it to get myself another Jane Iredale PurePressed Base Pressed Mineral Powder. I made a remark in a post a coupla months ago about how I finally understood how to use this powder to my advantage and have been so loving it that I can now see pan on the compact I have. When I made the decision to get another one, I had to go through the shades again as the one I am using, which is Caramel, is actually a tad dark for my skin. After a coupla days mulling it over, I went for the shade Riviera. I hope I chose the right hue but even if I didn't, I'll somehow make it work like I did with the Caramel :) When I got the PurePressed powder, I also recieved a Jane Iredale Dream Tint Moisture Tint SPF 15 in the shade Warm Bronze as complimentary gift with purchase. I brown easily as it is so I have never had any use for bronzer and the like but perhaps it's sheer enough that I'll still be able to make use of it.

And that's that on the beauty front.