Tuesday, August 9, 2011

my grammy's brush with technology

Last evening my sis told me to get on Skype so we could have a vid chat session while she was at my parents' house. Ever the dutiful sister, I went online and was greeted by the sight of my Strawberrynet parcel. Was tres excited. We had an unboxing session with my nieces being lil busybodies and wanting to touch and smell everything. All the items arrived in one piece so I am mucho, mucho happy.

Ooh, also, my books arrived as well. I told my sis to open up the cardboard envelope it came in, giving her instructions to just make sure there were two books inside without having to take the books out of the packaging. I didn't want her to see the titles I bought, lol. Was a bit embarrassed about my Time Bandit book, hehehe. But once you say something to that effect to someone, of course they get curious about it. I suffered through a few minutes of, "Why the hell would you get these books?"

Anyways, my grandma, who stays in a different state about 6 hours from where I live was on an extended visit at my parents' house. She had been resting in her room when we first began our Skype session. My sis was using her iPad 2. As we were talking while I was monitoring my nephew doing his homework, she walked out of her room. My sis called out to her, pointed at my face on the iPad screen and told her it was me and if she wanted to have a chat with me. The expression on my 90 year old Grammy's face was priceless. She looked like she was gonna freak out seeing my head in that box. Then I started speaking, she looked even more baffled.

But after a couple of beats, she started getting the hang of it. We started chatting and at one point, after telling me that I was very pretty (don't you just love grandmothers?), she bent down and kissed the screen, LOL. I thought that was so cute!

We chatted a while more, she was asking me what I was doing here in Workland and if I was married or not, hehehe. My nieces were the ones who were quick to answer her on that one. I just told her I was still young so it was alright, there was still time for all that :D Right before we signed off, she gave me one more "kiss" and told me she'll be praying that I meet a good man, hahaha. My response: I said thank you ;P

Last year when I was back home and I visited her, she couldn't remember who I was. I understood that she was old and that it wasn't her fault that her memory was failing her but it doesn't prevent from your feelings still being a bit hurt. I was doing the driving while we were travelling and every so often she'd ask my dad who was in the drivers' seat. Since she couldn't really recognize me, I was hesitant to act as per normal with her in case she got freaked out by this "stranger" being so familiar with her.

But yesterday, while we talked, she seemed so happy to see me and was saying how she remembered that I was the youngest of my dad's kids and so on and so forth. That in itself made my day. I am so lucky to still be able to have my grandma in my life. In fact, I am simply lucky to have been able to know both sets of grandparents at one point or another in my life. Though both of my maternal grandparents and my fraternal grandfather have passed on, at least I have very concrete memories of my time spent with them. And it's the same with my Grandma. I love ya, Grams!