Monday, August 8, 2011

July's Shopping Expedition #2

The monthly subscription sites are gaining traction. I first found myself ensnared by these kind of websites when I became a member of Jewelmint. Now it seems there are a slew of subscription-based sites popping up all over the internet wanting you to part with your money on a monthly basis offering t-shirts, shoes, deluxe samples of beauty products, etc, etc.

One site that specializes in shoes, Sole Society, is a subsidiary company of Haute Look. Since I'm a member of Haute Look, I was of course invited to join Sole Society when they launched. I joined for the heck of it. Since its inception, I always looked over the choices but always ended up skipping the month. But during my recent trip back home, I managed to destroy 3 pairs of shoes in one week and at the end of it, seemed like I didn't have any more good shoes to wear.

My only proper work shoes - a pair of black faux patent leather pumps - had already been fixed once and was again sporting a gaping hole on the side. There's no saving it a second time. I needed a pair of work shoes pronto. Hence, when I received a 30% off on first shoe purchase from Sole Society, I decided to seriously consider getting something.

How it works is that all the shoes found on the site is priced at $49.95. The selection is varied and changes from month to month. The shoe brand is named Marco Santi and was exclusively created for Sole Society. I read somewhere that the designers of the line is the same company that makes the Vince Camuto and Jessica Simpson shoes. That makes me feel great about the quality of the shoes since I have 2 Vince Camuto footwear in my shoe closet. The material ranges from fabric to faux leather to genuine leather. I like that the shoes are all priced the same and you can get genuine leather footwear for $49.95.

Anyways, I looked on the site and found the perfect work shoes - the Imola. It's black, genuine leather (YAY!) peep toe with a heel height of 5 inches and platform height of 1 inch. Ok, I realize 5 " is a tad high :) I got the shoes in a size 8 as the description mentioned that these pair run a half size large. Am I worried about the sizing? Of course I am but out of the numerous shoe purchases I have made online, only 2 have been off base - my Melissa Plastic Dream Vinyl II wedges and the Newport News clogs. the NN clogs are a non-issue but the Melissa wedges are a literal pain to wear. The classic pumps I got:


Don't they look gorgeous? After applying the discount, I ended up being charged $34.95. Shipping is always free - just like with Jewelmint. I like the concept of these subcscription sites though I don't believe I'd be getting shoes every month. And any future purchases I may make, I definitely will try to purchase only genuine leather footwear as then it becomes value for money since the site makes no distinction between faux leather, fabric or genuine leather. Can't wait to slip my Imola's on my feet!