Tuesday, November 8, 2011

eco speakers

OpenSky emailed me to say they're giving me a USD10 credit just because that would be valid for one day only. Now, credit is free money and who am I to deny them the pleasure of my business. I decided to go to the site and just have a look around.

And I spotted these:


The sale curated by Andrew Zimmern is for Design-it-Yourself Travel Speakers and is going for USD16. PERFECT! I have my 10 bucks so essentially, I'll only pay 6 dollars for the speakers and an additional 6 for shipping. That comes up to 12 bucks.

Aside from the price, the main reason I decided to get these was because the ones I got last year have already gone kaput. So I am in desperate need of some portable speakers. The 16 dollar price tag with 10 bucks credit didn't hurt at all :)

The description reads that it's plug-and-play. I am actually kinda confused about how these work because apparently it doesn't need batteries nor an outlet so how are the speakers powered? My best guess is that it's drawing power via the battery of the player or computer it's attached to. I kinda like the idea of it but it'll probably drain the battery faster. Not so much an issue for me seeing as I have my devices plugged in and charging most of the time I'm using speakers anyway.


The cute thing about these speakers is that you can create your own design. The set I got, which is the clear plastic speakers, comes with 6 non-permanent markers that allow you to write/draw whatever your heart desires on the sides of the speakers. The other version of these speakers are made out of cardboard and comes with 6 colour pencils instead. It's a very kitschy cool concept, too bad I'm not the artsy creative type :P

Another reason why these speakers are a great choice for me is that it's easily dismantled to lay flat making it truly travel-friendly. It takes up practically no space at all in it's original form. And one of the more important things to note is that it's compatible with any devices with a 3.5mm jack

The best aspect of this purchase is that these speakers are eco-friendly. The ones I chose are made out of 80% recycled materials. This means that not only do I get to enjoy the functions of the speaker but I can feel good about playing a part in reducing waste on earth, hehehe.