Thursday, November 3, 2011

putting my (drugstore) dollars to work

I've mentioned before about drugstore.com's shopping incentive where every time a purchase is made from your account, you get 5% of the total amount credited to you which you can spend every four months counting back from the month you made your first purchase. Phew, that was rather a mouthful of an intro :D

This month I didn't really have a lot of dollars to spend, just $2.08 but then they gave me an additional 5 bucks if I spent it on forty dollars worth of product. So in total I would be getting $7.08 off of whatever it is I wanted. Which is why I decided to get something in the end rather than let my drugstore dollars go to waste.

I have been loving my latest makeup regimen which mainly consists of using products by Jane Iredale namely the PurePressed Powder foundation in Riviera and the PureMatte Finish powder in translucent. These two combined give me the most natural looking flawless skin finish that I have ever been able to achieve. And considering that my skin went through a weird purging phase for the past two months and is only returning back to normal, the combo of these 2 products along with a mix of the Murad Acne Treatment Concealer stick in medium dark and MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NC30 has allowed me to give the illusion of flawless skin without further aggravating the condition.

However, the PureMatte Finish powder, although an essential in my makeup bag, doesn't fully provide the matte part continuously throughout the day. I can't totally rely on it for more than 6 hours and that's even when I have sprayed some Urban Decay All-Nighter on as well. Hmmm, perhaps it's the setting spray then? But anyways, I found another finishing powder from Jane Iredale that I thought I would try which is the Jane Iredale Beyond Matte powder. The description of the product reads as below:


"Based on a proprietary technology, Beyond Matte® not only eliminates shine for hours, it also absorbs oil, lessens transference, makes skin look smoother, refines pores, and increases the water resistancy of our minerals. Always on the lookout for environmentally sound ways to enhance product performance, Jane has included soothing jojoba seed oil into this formulation so skin appears touchably radiant as well as shine-free. For a High Definition-proof complexion that's always ready for its close-up, focus on Beyond Matte®. An HD matifying powder, available in four shades: Translucent - Use on any skin. Lilac - Use to brighten sallow tones. Peach - Use to warm up pale skin. Dark - Use on ethnic skins or as a bronzer

- Ultra water resistant formula guarantees complexion perfection, even under pressure
- Sensitive-skin appropriate, HDTV approved
- Proprietary technology eliminates shine, lessens transference, refines pores and gives skin a flawless, smooth appearance
- Environmentally responsible formulation and packaging
"

Ok, so I realize descriptions are just that - descriptions :) But if the shine-free for hours claim is true then I will be more than a satisfied customer. Also, the part about minimizing pores would be a great bonus as well. That's something I like about the PureMatte Finish Powder, it truly minimizes the appearance of pores. I decided to get the refill as I don't need another compact case since I have 3 already and it costs waaay less at $32.00. I will try to use up my first PurePressed compact in caramel so I can put in the BeyondMatte powder once I have it in hand. Naturally, I chose the shade translucent since it is suitable for all skin tones.

To round up my purchase to 40 smackaroos, I got myself another tube of Acnevir. I like this homeopathic salicylic acid topical gel. I finally figured out the right amount of product to slather on and it has miraculously reduced the number of those mini-bumps that seemed to pop up on my face 2 months ago. This will actually be my third tube of the stuff. I got it for $8.49.

All in all, my total came to $40.49 but with my $7.08 discount and free shipping, I was charged $33.41. I'm happy :)