Tuesday, November 8, 2011

a long time coming

In October of last year, I had done a post on a treat I wanted to give myself to celebrate my milestone birthday. In that post, I talked about getting a lil something something from Tiffany & Co - the iconic jeweler close to many a woman's heart.

Although my birthday was in March and I have crossed that milestone then, I believe a milestone birthday is a year-long celebration. So, a lil over a year on since I wrote that post, I am finally the proud owner of my first Tiffany pieces - the 7.5" oval link clasp bracelet in 18k gold and the Tiffany Notes Letter charm in 18k gold. My sis got them for me as she's currently on her extended holiday in the US where the price of Tiffany jewelry is much more affordable than it would have been if I had gotten it here in my Homeland. She was in Orlando, Florida which had the lowest sales tax rate out of all the places she was visiting so I had requested that she get it for me in that county. In all, the amount was USD2350 plus 6% tax bringing the total to USD2491. The price of both pieces have individually gone up a tad since my post. The bracelet went up by 150 dollars while the charm doubled to USD400. Nonetheless, if I had gotten the items here, the mark-up would have been significantly higher.


My sister was commenting that most people start out at Tiffany's getting something in silver, which is definitely the more affordable option, but I am the type of person that thinks "Go big or go home". I don't want to be spending my hard earned dollars on something silver which, if I'm being perfectly honest, is as common as ever. My milestone birthday should be meaningful and be represented accordingly :D Yes, I get how snooty the overall statements above are.

I'm happy with my purchase. What I got will have sentimental value to me and that is really all that matters in the end. As long as it makes me feel good. I don't worry about what other people think although I know some of the girl's from the group of six will probably have a comment or three about the amount I spent :)


I'm thinking that my next purchase from Tiffany's will be a ring, specifically the Etoile band ring as seen above. It retails for USD2100. It's an 18k gold band ring with round brilliant diamonds set in platinum. I just need the ring to complete my collection of precious metal jewelry. Then I can officially close the book on expensive jewelry, excluding additional charms for the bracelet of course, and concentrate all my funds on techie gadgets and designer handbags, hehehe.