Tuesday, June 15, 2010

i am complete crap at making instant cookies

Over the weekend I did some grocery shopping and on impulse, I got myself a pack of Betty Crocker Cookie Double Chocolate Chunk Mix to try. I have never baked any form of biscuits before and thought that since this was reduced to clear for 2 bucks, I'd try my hand at it. I mean, I make superb muffins and cupcakes and though presentation-wise my cake attempt was kinda ugly but it tasted fabulous, how hard or different will baking biscuits be?

Apparently pretty damn difficult! My first attempt was yesterday, it turned out too soft even after following the instructions to a tee. Did not make a difference when I added an additional 10 minutes to the baking time. Tasted more like cake than actual cookies. Which is fine, still edible and all. Today's batch however turned out a bit burnt. Ok, if I'm honest, it was more than a bit. I scarfed it down anyway. The taste was generally okay if a bit bitter in some parts. I upped the temp and baking time but I guess since I already increased the baking temperature, I didn't need to do double on the time. Ok, never mind, rookie mistake. I'll give it a go again tomorrow. I'm stretching out this batter so I can experiment till I get the best result. So far, first day I got 8 cookies and today I made 5 more. So figuratively speaking, for every 1 teaspoon I can get 23 more cookies.

Too shy to even put up pics of the first two attempts. I'll put something up ONLY if the next few tries yield a successful, normal-looking batch :P

UPDATE:


Thought it only fair I back up my ugly cookies claim with pics so don't judge, they really did taste alright despite looking like that :)